pydna

Organisation tab/Repackager Improvements

Hi

With Repackager, it would be great if the msgbox that pops once the first setup.exe (or msi, whatever you've asked to capture) has run could include some info saying something like "don't close this window if you have further products to include in the capture".

By that I mean there is often a requirement to include multiple setup.exe's in the same MSI. Now I worked out how to do it but it would be nice if it was little more user friendly.

Also when I look at the Features and Components tab (located Organisation section), I like the way if you left click on a Component the Component Properties are displayed in the top right window (where help info is). However it would be great if when I left on a file or other item within the component this information was displayed in the Right Window, instead you have go to the file (hence leave the Features and Components tab). Now I know you can move back to it, but from a workflow point of view it would be nice if you didn't have to do this (or atleast have the option of customising this?).

I've already mentioned the App-V options in a previous post so I won't harp on about that, except to say if can add some tools edit/create Bundled App-V Builds that would be fantastic. I know Hooking is the preferred method outlined by microsoft but I know corporations that use either method.

If you need further clarification or feedback please send me a pm or email and I'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Pydna
Cosmin

Re: Organisation tab/Repackager Improvements

Hi Pydna,
With Repackager, it would be great if the msgbox that pops once the first setup.exe (or msi, whatever you've asked to capture) has run could include some info saying something like "don't close this window if you have further products to include in the capture".
I added an improvement on our TODO list which will offer more support for repackaging multiple products. It will be available in a future version. Thank you for your suggestion.
However it would be great if when I left on a file or other item within the component this information was displayed in the Right Window, instead you have go to the file (hence leave the Features and Components tab).
I added this feature on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version.
except to say if can add some tools edit/create Bundled App-V Builds that would be fantastic.
Can you please give me more details about this, perhaps an example? Why do you need such a feature? The App-V build feature in Media page should do everything you need.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
pydna

Hi Cosmin,

Currently, our business directive is where possible all applications should be built as App-V packages. The other criteria is that these applications should be Bundled. So with Microsoft Sequencer (I think we are using 4.6 SP1) we create the App-V Sequence by putting all prereqs and the main application into one App-V package.

With AI it does output the App-V package, however getting the prereqs in is a little bit of a pain. I have mucked around a little and managed to import several MSIs into one project and then build this as an App-V package but it seemed to not install correctly, although on the surface the .sft, osd and .sprj files seemed about right in terms of file size. This could have been because I did something wrong, I've been flat out doing BAU work so I haven't had much time test out variations in packaging. I'm hoping to have some free time this week but then again, I said that last week :-)

Also we are required to specify the 8.3 directory for where the App-V package should be installed. I haven't looked into it but I know with the Microsoft Sequencer you can specify this (e.g Q:\PACKNAME.EXT) with Advanced Installer I'm unsure if this is possible.

The other App-V sequencing method that is pushed by Microsoft (and Flexera have included this with Admin Studio) is hooking, that is ability to link App-V packages together if they are required as prereqs. In our business we have elected not to pursue this method of virtualisation however other businesses do use this method. Each has it's pro's and cons.

Let me know if you need further information I'll be happy to do what I can.

Cheers

Pydna
Cosmin

Hi Pydna,
With AI it does output the App-V package, however getting the prereqs in is a little bit of a pain.
Prerequisites support is on our TODO list and will be available in a future version. Most likely in 8.7.
Also we are required to specify the 8.3 directory for where the App-V package should be installed.
The installation directory can be set in Root Folder edit box from App-V tab:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... a-tab.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Feature Requests”