theodorus.alvin

'The installed product does not match the installation source' while installing patch

Hello, I am new here and I am trying to create msp file for future patch. At this point I have two version of the application (1.0.0 and 1.0.1) with 1.0.0 installed successfully on my PC (for trial purpose) but I am unable to update patch to 1.0.1. I have followed the instructions to create two msi files for version 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 as well as the msp file patching 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1.

Whenever I am trying to update patch by double clicking the msp file, I always got this warning:
The insalled product does not match the installation source. Until a matching source is provided or the installed product and source are synchronized, this action cannot be performed. prompting me to pick source msi file.

Now from what I have been looking for (this url https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... tches.html), one solution is to select Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files located under Build page -> configuration tab, but I could not find such option. I am using Advanced Installer 21.7.1.

I cannot attach msi and msp file because they exceed allowed file size here.
Eusebiu

Re: 'The installed product does not match the installation source' while installing patch

Hi Theodorus and welcome to our forums.

This problem may appear if any of the patch rules from the "Creating Patches" article was not respected or if the MSI from the 1.0.0 version was not cached on the machine.

Are you sure you respected all those rules? If so, can you send to our support email address the build log of the patch creation and a verbose log of the patch installation so I can investigate them?

The "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option is available only when a "Single EXE setup (resources inside)" package type was created. Did you use that option? If so, you need to also check the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option for the MSI and CAB files to be kept on the machine.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
theodorus.alvin

Re: 'The installed product does not match the installation source' while installing patch

Hello Eusebiu,

I managed to fix this issue by selecting the msi file installed on my PC on during patch creation as target. Also I selected 'EXE setup with resources next to it' as the build option. Now I could patch the older version of my app with latest version.

But the next thing I would like to know is, how to create a shortcut on desktop for patch? As i recall under updates, you could make the update.exe file generated automatically as shortcut on desktop. I am looking for similar action but with patch. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Alvin
Eusebiu

Hi Alvin,

I'm afraid that I do not fully understand the scenario. Can you please give me more details (maybe exemplify)?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
theodorus.alvin

Hello Eusebiu,

For the target msi package, I picked the msi package located on C;\windows\installer\filename.msi, apparently this solved the problem.

And to elaborate further for my second question, when you check the box on updates, there will be two files generated: update.exe and update.ini. If you double click update.exe, the software will check to remote server if there is any update and prompts user to install it. But on your your example in this video, what is shown is only available for updates, not patch. I am looking for a method to do the exact same thing but with patch.

Regards,
Alvin
Eusebiu

Hi Alvin,

Yes, you can do the same thing with a patch. Just follow the steps from that video and make sure that you select the patch (MSP file) at the step from minute 3:00 from that video. In this case, when the updater will check for updates, it will download and install the patch as a new update.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”