bjk68

Aip files disappear from Solution Items in Visual Studio

We include our AI project files as Solution Items in a Visual Studio 2010 Solution folder.
When AI creates a .back.aip file, the aip file (sometimes) disappears from the Solution folder. We have to manually add it again.
Visual Studio has the same issue with Word and Excel files.

The problems occurs because Visual Studio monitors the existence of files in Solution folders.
Probably due to the way the backup file is created, the aip file does not exist during a very short time and Visual Studio removes it from the Solution folder.

Maybe you could rethink the way you create the .back.aip file, to prevent the aip file getting removed from the Visual Studio Solution folder.

Ref.: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5469 ... -in-vs2010
mihai.petcu

Re: Aip files disappear from Solution Items in Visual Studio

Hello,

Can you please give us more details about the reason you are including the .AIP into your solution?

Also, please note that our development team is currently working on a feature which will permit the integration of an Advanced Installer project into a Visual Studio project. This feature will be available in a future version.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
bjk68

mihai.petcu wrote:Can you please give us more details about the reason you are including the .AIP into your solution?
We like to add every part of our application that must be maintained to the Visual Studio solution. This includes the manual (Word file) en the AI project file. We store these in a solution folder. These files are checked in with TFS Source Control too. We have added a Post Build script, which calls AI, so after building the solution, the AI installer is built.
mihai.petcu

Hello,

What you are described will be the exact VS integration I mentioned in my last post will be included in a future version of Advanced Installer.

I have discussed this issue with the development team and the main .AIP doesn't get deleted when creating the .BACK project. The backup project simply gets created next to the main .AIP so there must be another reason behind this behavior.

All the best,
Mihai
bjk68

mihai.petcu wrote:The backup project simply gets created next to the main .AIP so there must be another reason behind this behavior.
I monitored the creation of the .back.aip file with Process Monitor from SysInternals.
When the installer project is saved, the following events show up in the process monitor log:
  • The existing installer.aip file is renamed to installer.back.aip (installer.aip disappears from filesystem)
  • The file installer.$.aip is created and written to during 0.15 seconds
  • The contents of installer.$.aip is copied to (a new) installer.aip (installer.aip reappears)
  • The file installer.$.aip is deleted
As you can see, the file installer.aip does not exist during a short period of time (0.15 sec).
Problem: Visual Studio monitors the presence of the file and removes it from the solution folder, when it does not exist.

I assume this is enough reason for you to reconsider the above steps,
to prevent the .aip file being removed from the Visual Studio solution folder.
mihai.petcu

Hello,

Actually, the backup creating mechanism doesn't delete the .AIP but any save operation does delete it as you noticed.

The development team is currently working on the Visual Studio integrating feature I mentioned, which will give you a predefined alternative for your desired functionality.

All the best,
Mihai
Bogdan

Hi,

We are happy to inform you that our current version contains now the support for integrating with Visual Studio.
For more details you can check out our docs.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”