showersshady

Previous installation not removed

We have an Advanced Installer 19.9 project that doesn't appear to remove previous installations from the control panel. Here are the facts:

- Installer is generated in Azure DevOps with the Advanced Installer Build task
- SetVersion 2.0.0.$(Build.BuildId)
- SetProductCode -langid 1033
- Single MSI package type
- The Upgrade Code is the same between each installer (verified with MSI utilities)
- The Product Code is different between each installer (verified with MSI utilities)
- The Package Code is different between each installer (verified with MSI utilities)
- Upgrades configuration
- Automatically upgrade older product versions is selected
- Uninstall old version first and then install new version is selected
- Product Details configuration
- Disable modify is checked
- Register product with Windows Installer is checked

The version is different between versions; however, the last digit group is the only value that changes (eg. version is 2.0.0.1200, 2.0.0.1201, etc). We only do this for hotfixes, and uninstalling is a viable workaround, but we would like to understand why there are multiple control panel entries for our product. Is it just the version number? Are there other options we can check or change to accomodate? It would be nice if we don't have to bump the patch number for hotifxes but we can adjust our process to work around it.
Catalin

Re: Previous installation not removed

Hello and welcome to our forums,

This strange behavior might exhibit due to multiple causes.

One that I can think of might be the use of the 4th field in the Product Version - How do I remove the old version when using the fourth field of the Product Version? FAQ might help here.

Could you please run a little test and let me know if that's the cause?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”