stereoman

Specify destination directory for command line build

I am evaluating the AdvancedInstaller and like what I see. We will probably purchase it soon.

One thing I was wondering though. Is there a way to build from the command line and have the output file go somewhere other than the current directory? I want to set our Ant build script to build the installer but we always put our build products in a subdirectory so they don't get mixed up with versioned files.

I guess it might work if I set the current directory to the location where i want the output before building and then specify the full path to the .aip file. I can't try this though because it seems that you can't do automated builds with the trial version. Would this do what I want?

Jason Stewart
SimWright, Inc.
Cata

Currently, the output file always goes next to the AIP file. What you should do is to move the file after creation. The following ant line does the trick:

<move file="file.msi" todir="dir/to/move/to"/>

Automated builds work in the trial version as well, but only until the end of the trial period (30 days). After that, building stops working from UI or command line.

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
stereoman

OK, I'll try that.

When I try to do an automated build with the trial version though I get a message box that says "Exception - The self extracting package could not be created. Error 2". I still have 20 days or so left in the evaluation.

If I run the program and click on the build button everything works correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Jason Stewart
Cata

Yuck, that must be a bug.

Are you using the latest (1.5) AI version? Please send us the .AIP file (to support at advancedinstaller dot com) so we can test and fix it.

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
stereoman

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using 1.5. My theory is the problem is happening because with the trial version it wants to display the dialog box telling me that this is a trial version and I have X days left. But that is just a guess.

I'll send you the file though.

Thanks,

Jason

Return to “Feature Requests”