MSIX Troubleshooter helps software engineers track the possible issues during the MSIX installation process.
Getting Started with MSIX?
Read our comprehensive MSIX Introduction 24-chapter guide.
- Smart EventLog Filter for highlighting the most relevant installation issues
- Learn about the most common error codes here
- Code signing certificate expiration date
- Internet access - for .appinstaller files
- Structured information of the OS’s multiple logs generated for all MSIX packages
- Helps you cut the manual troubleshooting and time-consuming logs tracking, prone to human error
How does MSIX Troubleshooter work?
Unlike MSI logging, an MSIX installation does not have the support to generate a single log file when you install a package. Instead, the OS generates multiple EventLogs for each MSIX package that gets installed on the machine. You can manually browse these logs if you open Event Viewer and go to:
- AppxPackagingOM › Microsoft-Windows-AppxPackaging/Operational
- AppXDeployment-Server › Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational
The OS always generates these logs - you can’t enable or disable logging for a dedicated MSIX package. This makes troubleshooting inconvenient and time-consuming because of the log-noise generated by other packages from the machine.
MSIX Troubleshooter V1
In the first version of the MSIX Troubleshooter, we are filtering the EventLogs while trying to display the most relevant information. For more details on the return codes listed in the logs please check the Microsoft docs.
The MSIX Troubleshooter also performs additional custom checks based on the information from the package, as mentioned above.