Merging components?

Hi

Is there any way to get more control over assigning files to features? I mean, all files added in "Files and Folders" section are assigned automatically to some feature in "Organization" section and I can't figure out how. Is there a rule?

I also want to know is there a way to merge two or more components into one (opposite of moving file to a new, separate component). My installation worked to slow and I suspect that reason for that was large number of components (over 3000). AI created separate component for almost every file, is that normal?

Best wishes, Misha
Cata

Hi Misha,

Windows Installer has certain rules for creating components. Advanced Installer obeys those rules, while trying to minimize the number of components.

So I doubt the number of components can be reduced without breaking the WI rules. Some rules:
- each EXE, DLL, OCX, etc. has its own component
- files in different folders have different components

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Re: merging components

Thank you for making that clear. But what about my first question. About getting more control over assigning files to features. The problem is that AI persistently assigns added files to the FIRST feature in the list whether I want it or not. I have to move them later to the feature I want and moving over 3000 components is LOTS of work.
Cata

Yes, that is being fixed in the next version (2.4). A "current" feature will be designed and the added files will be added to it. You will have the ability to select that current feature.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Re: merging components

And one more thing.
If I split a component into two I should be able to merge them back without breaking any rules because it was the state that AI created.

Return to “Feature Requests”