dhervieux

Zip as an package type

Hello,
I am reaching out today to propose a feature request that could significantly improve our workflow. Currently, we generate an MSI for our regular product installation, but we also create a separate ZIP file containing binaries for portable distribution. This has led us to maintain two different sources to produce our desired outputs.

My feature request is to add the capability to create a ZIP output format with the default installation settings directly within Advanced Installer. This addition would enable us to centralize everything in Advanced Installer and ensure that our ZIP package contains all the necessary files. Although we understand that no special actions or registry settings would be deployed in this distribution mode, we have been using it for years and find it to be extremely useful for certain scenarios.

Regards
Attachments
2023-08-06_18-18-06.png
2023-08-06_18-18-06.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 26910 times
Liviu

Re: Zip as an package type

Hello,

LZMA compression for web installer packages was added in Advanced Installer 19.9.

You can use our LZMA support with a .zip or .lzma archive. On the URL field you can add the link to your .zip archive.
lzma.png
lzma.png (53.63 KiB) Viewed 23007 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Hello,
This is helpful but not exactly what I want. It seems that the output is always a 7z. Could you make it possible to create a standard zip file instead?

Regards
Liviu

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe we'll consider this improvement in a future version of Advanced Installer, but unfortunately for the moment there are not immediate plans.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Feature Requests”