Files, Components, and Setup Types

Hi there,

If Advanced Installer could offer the Installshield-like features of File Groups, Components, and Setup Types (which have components), this software would be 100% good to go.

Thanks for reading.
Cata

Hi there,

As I never user the mentioned product, can you please ellaborate a bit and explain how those features you are seeking work?

We will gladly implement them if they add something valuable to our users.

Best regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Think of file groups as a way to separate types of files. Eg. DLLs, Help Files, Program Files, OCX Files.

Think of components as a way to combine a single file group or many. Eg. Component X has a certain set of file groups, and Component Y has other.

And think of setup types as being defined with a set of components. Eg. Setup Type 'Simple' has components with certain components, and setup type 'Full' has components with more components.

Hopefully I am making sense. Let me know.

Cheers.
Edward-Ross

Setup Types

I don't know if the full 'install-shield' complexity is required for this feature. Once of the nice things about AI is that it doesn't have an over-complicated interface.

I think a two-tier system would suffice, with components and setup-types. As follows:
1. configurable a list of components. Each component has property required/optional.
2. in the properties dialog of each file need to be able to configure the component it belongs to.
2.a. It would be useful to be able to set the component of a folder, and have this value get inherited by all files in the folder.
3. configurable list of setup types (e.g. Standard, Full, Minimal)
4. configure which components belong to each setup type.
5. The installer UI would display a list of all configured types plus
a custom type. Selecting the custom type allows the user to choose the components by hand (required components can't be switch off).

I think this is a really urgent feature because install components is a fundament install concept. Also without compoents the installer lacks the level of control users have come to expect.

Thanks,

Ed.
Cata

We are aiming this feature for the 1.7 version. An easy to use, intuitive UI is a must.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Edward-Ross

Great News! I eagerly await version 1.7.

Return to “Feature Requests”