Dazzler5052

Installation failed due to PS execution together with WDAC (Windows Defender Application Control)

Hi AdvancedInstaller community,

we are facing issue where we are unable to install msi application created with Advanced Installer. Problem occurs when there is WDAC used in production and during installation there is powershell script execution.

The installer and powershell script are both signed and the certificate is added to WDAC policy file (added also Advanced Installer certificate).

I did some tests and e.g. if I convert the powershell script to exe file via ps2exe command, the the script/exe is executed correctly but not sure how exactly ps2exe works I would suppose it just encapsulate into exe and in the inner parts it still invoke pure PS.

I've also tried to put the certificates directly into computer cert store (Trusted Root Certification Authorities and Trusted Publishers) but I got the same result.

I always get error:

Code: Select all

Property(C): POWERSHELL_EXECUTION_LOG = C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\pss3FFE.ps1 : Cannot dot-source this command because it was defined in a different 
language mode. To invoke this command without importing its contents, omit the '.' operator.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [pss3FFE.ps1], NotSupportedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotSourceNotSupported,pss3FFE.ps1
Does anyone have any experience with this? The only possible solution for me now is to disable Script enforcement in WDAC which is not what I want. I also tried to use WDAC Wizard tool to parse events that happened during the audit mode but after disabling audit mode, I get the same result.

I attached a sample aip project + policy...To setup the environment (Win 11), you need to unzip binary policies and set them via citool --update-policy $file...

I already checked this but this is probably related only to the installer execution (which itself works ok except for the PS): viewtopic.php?t=51147

Thank for help
Attachments
binaryPolicy.zip
Zipped binary policy
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Final_v10.0.0.1.xml
XML Policy
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Your Application.aip
(19.99 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Catalin

Re: Installation failed due to PS execution together with WDAC (Windows Defender Application Control)

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I have to admit that I might not be the most experienced when it comes to WDAC. So far, the solution I've found to be able to run MSI packages was to have the certificate installed on the machine.

Please allow me some more time to test and investigate this and I will followup as soon as I will have more information.

P.S.: from my understanding, the script execution works fine manually and it only fails when launched from the MSI package?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Dazzler5052

Re: Installation failed due to PS execution together with WDAC (Windows Defender Application Control)

Thanks for quick response. Take your time.

Yes, I cannot execute the powershell when executing from msi but looks like only if it goes directly through the powershell runner dll. If I execute the powershell through the run app custom action powershell.exe -f file.ps1 it is executed well.

It's a quite pain in the ass the WDAC I'm trying to make it work for 2 days already but I came with nothing unless turn on disable script enforcement in WDAC which helps.

I think the key to make it work is this page: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... nforcement
Especially this section:
Validation for signed scripts is done using the WinVerifyTrust API. To pass validation, the signature root must be present in the trusted root store on the device and your WDAC policy must allow it. This behavior is different from WDAC validation for executable files, which doesn't require installation of the root certificate.
But even though I put the cert to the store and to WDAC it didn't help.

Tip: You can use WDAC wizard which quite simplifies work with the WDAC policy.

Edit note: I'm not sure if it's possible but it seems to me there must be some unsigned element in the chain that executes the powershell script during installation and therefore WDAC restricts execution of the powershell script. In my case, my script were signed also I put AI and my generated certificate into trusted cert store and WDAC but still no success.
Catalin

Hello,

So I've tested and investigated this, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the bottom of it just yet.

At least for now, we have the ps2exe workaround which seems to be working fine.

I will continue my investigations and will let you know if I will be able to find anything useful.

Thank you for your understanding and patience on this!

Best regards,
Catalin
Dazzler5052

Thanks for updating the status. I understand this is not so easy to solve it or investigate it if it's even possible.
I will be looking forward for next news about the progress.
Catalin

Hello,

As promised, I'm coming back with a followup, although it is not a positive one. :(

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to overcome this (I've been testing this a lot since my last message) - which means we're left with your ps2exe workaround.

Thank you for your understanding!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”