ssearles

Application Crashing

I just did my upgrade to 7.3 and now cannot even start AI... I get the following error:
AI_crash.jpg
AI_crash.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 12738 times
No idea why...

TIA
ssearles

Re: Application Crashing

As a followup, its not localized to one machine, I tried installing to a different machine and a VM I have and they get same error.

7.2.1 worked fine yesterday too... very weird.
Bogdan

Hi,

Can you please give me more details? Does this happen when you are trying to open an existent project with Advanced Installer 7.3 or simply open Advanced Installer.

On what operating system does this error occurs? Is this the only error message that appears or there are more?

If this is happens when opening an existent project please send us the .aip file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ssearles

Bogdan wrote:Hi,

Can you please give me more details? Does this happen when you are trying to open an existent project with Advanced Installer 7.3 or simply open Advanced Installer.

On what operating system does this error occurs? Is this the only error message that appears or there are more?

If this is happens when opening an existent project please send us the .aip file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Bogdan

Nope, this is simply trying to open AI directly from shortcut, not even getting to the selection dialog for existing projects.
Bogdan

Hi,

Can you please tell me on what operating systems is this happening?

Regards,
Bogdan
ssearles

oh sorry... WinXP 32-bit
ssearles

Ok, tried again on a machine that never had any version of AI installed... it installs fine but when I went to apply my Enterprise key... it seems to be failing to download the key (despite proxy being set correctly in IE and in the wizard).

Could this have something to do with the crash on upgraded machines by chance?
Bogdan

Hi,

Do you have installed on your computer any antivirus software or any other security software?

Regards,
Bogdan
ssearles

Yes, McAfee Viruscan Enterprise with same configuration on all machines... something I cannot disable or modify either.
Bogdan

Hi,

We have had a problem with another antivirus solution before when their antivirus reported a false-positive detection in our application.

To be sure that everything is alright you can go to the installation folder of Advanced Installer and check the digital signature of the EXE. It is signed
with the company signature.

If you have downloaded the installation package from another site then ours please try to download it again and reinstall it.

As a solution you could try to submit for analyzes our application executable to McAfee so they can analyze it and make sure the it represents no threat to the users computers.

Regards,
Bogdan
ssearles

The version I downloaded I was from your site... the Updater did it automatically this morning. The advinst.exe is signed, and a McAfee is reporting no issues with it.

It also doesn't seem to explain why on a machine that never had AI installed before isn't able to connect with the license key... could they be related?
rwatson

FYI, I came across the same problem, but was able to get a fix. I'm using Microsoft's Live OneCare for antivirus and I suspect it "intercepted" something on my behalf (PC terminology for it screwed up the install), however I see nothing in the event log.

To fix this I followed these steps:

1.) Reboot.
2.) Disable antivirus
3.) Open Add/Remove Programs, find Advanced Installer, click change. Once the Advanced Installer dialog appears click "Repair".
4.) Run Advanced Installer (I do not know that this is required before re-enabling AV, but I did it).
5.) Turn your antivirus back on.
6.) Your world should have returned to the wonderful state of sunshine and love that it previously enjoyed.

Hope it helps.
ssearles

thanks, I'll give that a try... wish me luck.
ssearles

rwatson wrote:FYI, I came across the same problem, but was able to get a fix. I'm using Microsoft's Live OneCare for antivirus and I suspect it "intercepted" something on my behalf (PC terminology for it screwed up the install), however I see nothing in the event log.

To fix this I followed these steps:

1.) Reboot.
2.) Disable antivirus
3.) Open Add/Remove Programs, find Advanced Installer, click change. Once the Advanced Installer dialog appears click "Repair".
4.) Run Advanced Installer (I do not know that this is required before re-enabling AV, but I did it).
5.) Turn your antivirus back on.
6.) Your world should have returned to the wonderful state of sunshine and love that it previously enjoyed.

Hope it helps.
Well, a repair seems to have done the trick... McAfee did so much as burp (and because of local IT policy it couldnt be disabled) when I ran the repair but at least AI loaded this time... TY!

Return to “Common Problems”