bjk68

Custom Action Execution Conditions for a Feature

There are predefined conditions to choose from for "Install", "Re-install" and "Uninstall" of a feature. I defined Custom Actions for each InstallExecuteSequence: Uninstall, Rollback, Install and Commit. For each of the Custom Actions, I need an Execution Condition, so it only executes for my feature. I am in doubt which Execution Conditions to use.

So I need an Execution Condition for the following situations:
  • Uninstall of a feature, Rollback of a feature, Install of a feature, Commit of a feature
The default Execution Condition of a Custom Action is:
  • Uninstall: REMOVE = "ALL"
    Rollback:
    Install: NOT Installed
    Commit: NOT Installed
Are the following assumptions for Execution Conditions for a feature correct ????
  • Uninstall of a feature: ((&Feature = 2) AND (!Feature = 3))
    Rollback of a feature: ((&Feature = 3) AND NOT (!Feature = 3))
    Install of a feature: ((&Feature = 3) AND NOT (!Feature = 3))
    Commit of a feature: ((&Feature = 3) AND NOT (!Feature = 3))
The real meaning of all these predefined conditions is unclear to me. Wat is meant by the & and !, and what is meant by 2 or 3. Is there an explanatory page for these special Execution Conditions?
Cosmin

Re: Custom Action Execution Conditions for a Feature

Hi,

Yes, your assumptions are correct. The "&" symbol represents a feature action, what the installer will do with the feature during install. The "!" symbol represents a feature state, if the feature is already installed or not when the install process starts. You can read more about this in the Edit Condition Dialog article. We are planning to improve it in a future version so it will include some explanations for the symbols.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”