MattFW

Installer hangs on 'Searching for qualifying products'.

I have a pretty simple installer that just installs a product folder and a couple of DLLs. A user who has installed a previous version of the product is trying to use this insaller to update to a new version. He's running Windows Vista on an Administrator account but when he runs the new installer it never gets past:

Searching for qualifiying products

Property: AI_SETUPEXEPATH, Signature: AI_EXE_PATH_CU

He can click Cancel, but not Next. He's left it for 10 minutes and the next button does not become available. The installer itself doesn't have any search parameters (I don't search for previous versions manually, though I guess as he is installing a new version of an existing product it might be doing it automatically). Is there anything that might need to be done at his end to solve the problem?
Cosmin

Re: Installer hangs on 'Searching for qualifying products'.

Hi,

This is actually a search which tries to find a registry entry in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive. Usually it tries to find entries in this key:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\LZMA
Does this happen on multiple machines? If not, the user with the problem can try removing this key manually using regedit.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
meetshashank

I face similar issue where AI is isntalled. ( I checked on three machines where AI is installed)
Same problem Installer hangs when we run from Run and Rau and log...Or even output installer

I wont find installer key above u mentioned

Please suggest its urgent
mihai.petcu

Hello,

You can send us the verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the reason.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
meetshashank

Here u go for event Log

Same event Log message -----

“The description for Event ID ( 1033 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Test, 1.0.0, 1033, 1602, (NULL), ,”

“The description for Event ID ( 11708 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: Test -- Installation failed., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), , .”

Is that you need?
Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Shashank
Cosmin

Hi,
Is that you need?
No. We need a verbose installation log. You can find a guide here: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/qa-log.html
Also, please send us the .AIP (project) file you are using to build the package.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
meetshashank

Here U go with AI project Installer file..

Thanks
Shashank
Attachments
SupportingFiles.zip
SupportingFiles
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
AU092012.back.aip
.aip file
(23.48 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
AU092012.aip
(28.81 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
mihai.petcu

Hello Shashank,

This is most probably happening because of the SQL connection you have set in SQL Scripts page. Since its timeout is disabled (set to 0) it will wait indefinitely even if the connection fails.

We recommend you try the connection credentials outside the installer and see if you are able to establish a successful connection using them (e.g. SQL Management tools).
After ensuring everything works, you can implement the logic into your Advanced Installer project.

Here are a couple of articles with the related basics you may find useful:
SQL Scripts page
Configuring Databases with SQL Scripts
ODBC/SQL

All the best,
Mihai
meetshashank

Hi -

Thanks for u r answer

We tried all the way.
Not sure what is happening,

As it perfectly works in other machines where AI is not installed.
But on 3 machines where AI is installed it fails like above and hangs the application,

We are sure @ sql connection.
If you want you can just try to connect to u r local sql server with just Select * from ..... statement.

I tried a lot in different way many times

Many Thanks
Shashank
mihai.petcu

Hi Shashank,

Does it work on the same machine if you uninstall Advanced Installer?

All the best,
Mihai
meetshashank

Hi -

No It wont work we tried That way also.

Is that any registry entry problem is there?
If so which key we have to look in registry?

Have u tried with project file and supporting files which i send to u? is it works with u?
Please suggest.

Many Thanks
Shashank
mihai.petcu

Hello Shashank,
No It wont work we tried That way also.
If it still won't work then this is not related to Advanced Installer installation.
Is that any registry entry problem is there? If so which key we have to look in registry?
I never mentioned a registry problem, but an SQL misconfiguration which can be easily traced with the help of the articles I previously posted.
If the credentials work on the same machines, then there must be a misconfiguration in your installer projects. For testing purposes, you could implement the How to test SQL connection parameters? article in another test project. This way you could perhaps isolate the behavior on the machines manifesting it.
Have u tried with project file and supporting files which i send to u? is it works with u?
Our colleague Ciprian which handles SQL issues is currently on vacation. He'll be back on Monday with an answer for you.

All the best,
Mihai
CiprianComsa

Hi Shashank,

I tested using your aip project file in a virtual machine with SQL Server 2008 Express R2 and Advanced Installer 9.4.
I deduced the scheme of tables Cfp_Calcs, CFPAmount_detail and PayrollMonthlyDetail from the sql scripts that you provided and I created them before installing the package. During the installation, the scripts were executed successfully.
I could not reproduce your scenario.

Regards,
Ciprian
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ciprian Comsa
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Ciprian Comsa - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”