cuthbe

searching for java.dll

All i setup custom search to check if the sun java 1.5 is installed on the current machine.

so i search for java.dll and then in the min version i put in 5.0 as the file version on my desktop says 5.0.50.5 but when i run the installer and put in the custom action alert msg box MsgBox Session.Property("CHECK15JVM") it is finding java.dll but it is getting ones that are made by other vendors and don't even have the min verion number 5.0 what is going on here
Mihai

Hi,

This method is not recommended because the versioning of the java.dll is not consistent (is not the same with the JRE/JDK version). For example in the 1.5.0 JRE release the version of the java.dll is 1.5.0, where as for the 1.5.0_03 JRE the version of the java.dll is 5.0.30. Another example is JRE 1.4.2 (and not only) for which java.dll does not have a version resource.

The search criteria for the JRE/JDK should be based on the content of the "HKLM/HKCU>Software>JavaSoft>Java Runtime Environment/Java Development Kit" registry key.

Regards,
Mihai.
Last edited by Mihai on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mihai Udrea
Advenced Installer Team
cuthbe

But if you search the registry how do i check if 1.5 is installed i don't want to have to list all the keys it could be under HKLM/Software/Javasoft/JRE

Liek

1.5_05_1

etc etc
Ionut

Hi,

If the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.5" exists, it will point to the latest JRE 1.5 installed on the system (for example, "1.5.0_03" or "1.5.0_06"). Therefore, you can create a Registry Search for the following entry:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.5\JavaHome
In order to determine the default JRE, use the following registry value:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion
Regards,
Denis
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”