chuckej

Can't finish - build error

Get the following error - which only seems curable by a complete reboot - then it works.

error.
Exception - Reason: Failed to localize one or more elements in the EXE bootstrapper. Make sure that [C:\myexefilename] is not being used by another process and the elements used by the bootstrapper can be accessed.

Build finished because an error was encountered.

No other files or programs are open or in use on machine during build. Edit - using latest 7.6 release.
GabrielBarbu

Re: Can't finish - build error

Hello,

Try looking in the task manager under the Processes tab to make sure your EXE is not running when you are building.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
chuckej

Neither app nor process is running in task mgr. What else could it be?
GabrielBarbu

Hello,

Can you reproduce this on other machines? If so, please send us a sample project (with all the files necessary for building) so we can attempt to reproduce the issue.
Send it to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
chuckej

The sad thing about this - is that if I stop/start AI somewhere between 1 and 20 times - it will work - and not give the error - with no other changes other than restarting AI. Does that help?

Does anyone else have this problem out there - if so - please chime in....
chuckej

Here's a file that I've used with the problem...
Attachments
MusiConsoleInstallerV265_fortrial2.aip
All my builds do it - it doesn't matter which...
(77.12 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
GabrielBarbu

Hello,

I am afraid I could not reproduce the issue with just the .aip project file. Please send us a sample project that reproduces this behavior (this means the .aip project file and all files needed to build it) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
bvillersjr

I have this problem as well. It just started today. I have successfully created several installers for the same project just yesterday. The only thing that changed is that I referenced another localized assembly. ANy ideas?

The error message is:
Exception - Reason: Failed to localize one or more elements in the EXE bootstrapper. Make sure that [C:\Shared\Commander\Installer\Setup Files\setup.exe] is not being used by another process and the elements used by the bootstrapper can be accessed.

Build finished because an error was encountered.
bvillersjr

I found another post that suggested I uncheck 'Create Exe Setup File' and then recheck it. Strangely, I noticed before unchecking that the file name textbox was empty. After re-checking the checkbox and populating the filename, all is well again.
bvillersjr

:( This morning I got the same error, but the steps I mentioned above do not resolve it this time. Any ideas?
dvelitchkov

I'm getting the same error also, adv. installer 7.7

I have about 50 AIP projects that I compile from a script, using the command line - "advinst.exe <path_to_my_aip> /rebuild"
Certain ones fail with the above error.
If I put the build command in a loop however, and have adv. installer retry the exact same AIP retry 2-3 more times - voila - problem goes away.

Definitely looks like a bug.

I also have no other programs open.
braindonors

I found that turning off Antivirus Scanning (I use AVG) fixes this issue.
Jim Beveridge

I use Norton Antivirus 2010. Turning off antivirus fixed the problem for me also.
SetupGuy

I don't know if that's the most up to date thread on this, but I just wanted to mention that I'm still having the same problem with AI 8.1.3.
Some days it works fine, some days it fails 2-3 times, then runs fine and on some days (like today) I can't seem to get it working at all. At some point I thought it might have something to do with whether you have the output directory open in Windows Explorer, but that seemed to be superstition as it keeps failing now even though I don't have any explorer Window open.
Not even deactivating the antivirus software helps, so I'm kind of stumped. Even the old project, which I had backed up, fails consistently today, even though I was able to build just fine last thursday. Is there any update to this? To be honest, I am shocked that this issue hasn't been fixed although it has been known for such a long time.
Cosmin

Hi,

This usually happens when the output folder is opened. If closing it doesn't help, you can try rebooting the machine.

The next version will include an improvement which tries to limits the number of occurrences for this error. However, we haven't found a way of eliminating it completely. Basically, the Windows API we are using to write the file fails under some specific circumstances. Currently there are no alternatives, but perhaps we will find a permanent solution in the future.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”