fasilak

Uncompressed MSI.

Hi,

I want to create MSI Which when placed in a folder installs all the files and folders present in the folder.

Like A folder contains folder B and Folder C
Folder B and C has subfolders and files

I will put the MSI in Folder A and it installs bother folder B and Folder C.
Is it possible?
ciprian

Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand what you are trying to achieve. Could you please provide more details?

Advanced Installer allows you to create MSI packages with the files placed in a folder near the MSI file.

In order to enable this feature go to the "Media" page and select the "Place files unpacked in folders next to the MSI database".

For more details please see:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/media.html

Best regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
fasilak

Ya i have done the same. [Advanced Installer allows you to create MSI packages with the files placed in a folder near the MSI file.
]

Say this is the folder structure of the final build

Code: Select all

Installer
-->mySetup.exe
-->mySetup.msi
APPDIR[Folder]
--> MY installation files and sub folders.

The installer works perfectly.
But one of my problems in the current product which we are developing is that the files in the APPDIR changes frequently. So we don't want to waste time building the installer again and again as each file changes. Changes can include creating a new folder, deleting an existing folder adding files.

I want the installer to just blindly install all the folders and files present in the APPDIR :o . I have seen such MSI created by Advanced installer earlier .

Can you just help me out in this regard?

Thanks in advance.
ciprian

Hi,

I'm afraid that you cannot create such a MSI file. Every time an item from the package is modified you must rebuild the project. All the information on the files and folders from the package is stored in the MSI and after every build this information is updated. This is the way Windows Installer works.

Best regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
Lickydog

ciprian wrote:Hi,

I'm afraid that you cannot create such a MSI file. Every time an item from the package is modified you must rebuild the project. All the information on the files and folders from the package is stored in the MSI and after every build this information is updated. This is the way Windows Installer works.

Best regards,
Ciprian
If your structure and filenames stay the same just ensure that you uncheck the md5 summing on the media page - is this what you mean?
ciprian

Hi,

Even if the folder structure and filenames stay the same, the MSI stores also the information on the size of the files. If you modify a file the MSI must be rebuilt to update the information on that filesize, otherwise Windows Installer will not be able to find the file and install it.

All the best,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
Lickydog

Modification of files post build

Hi Ciprian, this is not the behaviour that I am experiencing.

When I make a change to a Readme file -for example - after building the MSI, the install correctly operates, and uninstalls correctly (i.e. completely) with the proviso that:

The files are external to the MSI, MD5 checksumming is disabled, the file has the same name and is in the same relative location.

Is this 'feature' likely to be deprecated - it would be a great shame.

Ian

Return to “Common Problems”