maxt

Service Problem

Hi

I have added a Service operation where I want to change the Start from manual to auto to an existing service created by a 3rd party.

1. I unfortunately set Event On Uninstall to both Start and Delete. These do not seem to be mutually exclusive, but perhaps they should be. I now cannot uninstall my app because the service cannot be altered since it is marked for deletion. This happens on the next restart. It therrefore cannot be started. Do I will need to do a Registry seaarch and delete to remove the Uninstall keys?

2. How should I set the change to a preinstalled Service so that my install simply sets it to Start='auto' and unchanged on uninstall? Do I use the arguments box and what is the syntax?

Regards

Max
ciprian

Hi Max,

Could you please give us some more details on the service you have added? Does it have other functions besides changing the existing service?

If not, a simpler way would be to use a custom action that will set that service to "auto".

Best regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
maxt

Service Problem

Thanks

It was a 3rd party service, not mine.

I had to do a registry edit to release the conflict between a deleted service that was trying to start and an installation that would not uninstall.

I have now succeeded with a .BAT DOS file that does the operations on the service directly as a Custom Action. The question still remains:
Should a Service Start and Delete both be allowed at the same time?

Thanks

Max
ciprian

Hi,

Microsoft Platform SDK doesn't specify whether these events are mutually exclusive.

However the "delete" event is executed before the "start" event so we shouldn't allow both events scheduled at the same time.

We added this feature on our list and will be available in a future release.

Best regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com

Return to “Common Problems”