giovannip

Optional PreRequisite

Hi All,

In the Prerequisites page, I add the Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player prerequisistes. In essence though, they are not really required but optional; nice to have's but not mandatory. The problem is when the installer begins, the checkboxes are automatically checked. Can I set an initial value of "unchecked" as they are not required to run my application but rather, simply additions that would just bring extra functionality as our application produces PDF's? I don't want to have the user constantly uncheck 1-n optional prerequisites.

Giovanni
Bogdan

Re: Optional PreRequisite

Hi Giovanni,

Using a global prerequisite this cannot be done, but if you set them as feature-based prerequisites from the "Options' tab you can accomplish this.
After you have set the prerequisites go to Organization page, here you will see a feature generated for each of your prerequisites, set the feature's state to not installed by default.
You will also need to add the dialog "SetupTypeDlg" so the user can select the features he wants to install or not. Now the feature tree will contain and your prerequisites, not selected
of course.

If you want a checkbox selection tree instead of the selection features tree you will need to activate Enhanced UI from the Themes page and then go to Dialogs page
and replace the selection tree with a "Quick Selection Tree" available in the toolbox. All this must be done in the "CustomizeDlg" dialog.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Bogdan

Re: Optional PreRequisite

Hi,
In the current software I don't see these options.
I don't want to be mean :) but I guess you are using the PRO edition and the features I mentioned are available in the Enterprise project, thus you need an Enterprise license.

The same is valid for the properties appearing for a few seconds on the first dialog, that list can be completely deleted/hidden using our Dialog Editor from the Enterprise edition.

The custom executable with its own GUI is not a good solution because the prerequisites support that rely on the custom EXE search were designed for EXEs that run silently, not for EXEs that show GUI.
It is normal for the EXE to run for each prerequisite you have, as in normal situations the EXE would search for different things for each prerequisites.

The styled approach for what you are trying to do is presented in our Suite Installation tutorial.

If you already have a PRO edition I might help you with a small discount to upgrade it to ENT, just mail me at support@advancedinstaller.com

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”