maxt

Dialog box before Prerequisites install

Hi again

I can install my Prerequisite applications OK, but I would like to open an advisory Dialog box or some text message before the first application, perhaps as a RTF file.

I have tried to add this RTF file as the first Prequisite, it opens Word OK, but the Prerequisite for subsequent applications then fails because the first failed to install. Of course it cannot install itself.

Would I be correct in saying that adding using the Dialog function in my own application install will be too late to precede the Prerequisite applications?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Max
Ionut

Hi Max,
Would I be correct in saying that adding using the Dialog function in my own application install will be too late to precede the Prerequisite applications?
Yes, you would be right. The EXE bootstrapper runs before your MSI package is launched.
Any ideas?
Well, you could use a setup launcher that allows the user to see the RTF file and then launch the installer for your application. There are several such programs available (just search on Google), but most of them are commercial. Moreover, it is very easy to write one yourself.

If you do not have C/C++ programming experience, I would suggest using AutoIt, a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI. It can generate compiled executable scripts that can run without AutoIt being installed. See the following page for details: http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3

You can find installation instructions for AutoIt and the AutoIt SciTE editor here:
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/sci ... lation.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
maxt

Thanks for that.

Building an .exe that runs a message display works OK, but it does not install itself as a Prerequisite. It is not a setup launcher. Therefore the Prerequisite sequence fails.

Do I need to convert this message .exe into a setup file using AI and install it somewhere as a Prerequisite? But this would install it, not execute it at the correct time.

I am missing something. I really want to execute it without installing it before other Prerequisites are executed and installed.

If it is not installed, the Prerequisite Search will fail. Correct?

Regards

Max
Ionut

Hi Max,

The setup launcher is a small program whose purpose is to allow the user to see the readme file and then to launch the installer for your application. It is not meant to be included as a Prerequisite in your package.

This is the approach I have in mind:
1. Create the setup launcher as a dialog-based application (in Visual C++ or AutoIt, for example).

2. The UI will contain 3 buttons: "View readme file", "Start installation" (it could be initially disabled) and "Exit". The purpose of each button is obvious.

3. When the user clicks the first button, the RTF file is executed and the second button ("Start installation") is set to enabled. This ensures that the user always sees the readme file before installing your program. If however, you do not require this behaviour, make sure that the "Start installation" button is always enabled.

4. When the "Start installation" button is clicked, the EXE setup package is executed. The Prerequisites will be installed first and then the MSI file will be launched.

Another possible approach would be to use only 2 buttons ("Start installation" and "Exit"). The readme text in this case would be displayed in the setup launcher dialog in an Edit Control or a RichEdit Control.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
maxt

Thanks for that.

Does this mean that I will need 2 applications to do the job - a launcher and the install application, the first calling the second?

Can they be combined into 1?

Thanks

Max
Ionut

Hi Max,
Does this mean that I will need 2 applications to do the job - a launcher and the install application, the first calling the second?
That's right. The purpose of the EXE bootstrapper generated by Advanced Installer is to install Prerequisite applications (if necessary), not to display Readme files (this can be achieved using the "Readme" dialog of your MSI package).
Can they be combined into 1?
Theoretically, yes: the setup launcher will include the readme file and the EXE install package as resources. When it is executed, it will extract them to a temporary location and launch the appropriate file from there. When the launcher is closed, the temporary files will be deleted. However, you would have to write some code to perform these tasks.

When full UI customization will be available, I believe it will be possible to create a MSI package that will serve as the launcher (without installing any files). Until then, I would recommend AutoIt - it has a simple syntax, the help file contains examples for almost every function and the AutoIt SciTE editor has tools which can assist you in creating the GUI.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”