Mathachew

List drives only for Install Location

Hello,

I'm sure this is possible via scripting, but I need to know.

I'm not the programmer and probably couldn't convince him to update his code so that if the program is installed anywhere, it will run properly. So is it possible to list drives only? Our program functions properly when running under the root of the drive, ie: C:\AppName, E:\AppName, etc.

We used Installshield before, but found it to be overly complicated. One thing, however, that we were able to do was list drives only, so that the install location would end up being what we wanted.

Any insight to accomplishing this would be great.

Thanks,
Mattew
ciprian

Hi,

I'm afraid that Advanced Installer doesn't support this feature directly.

We are currently working on UI customization. This will allow you customize any install dialog. We are targeting the 4.0 release to include this feature.

In the meantime here are some workarounds:

1. When create the package you could set the default path for the application and don't allow the user to modify it during installation. This is done by removing the "Select Location" dialog from the install wizard. To do this go to the "Dialogs" and remove the "Select Location" dialog from the tree.

The default location foe the application can be set in the "Install Parameters" page in the "Application Folder" page. You could edit it to [WindowsVolume][ProductName].

2. Another approach could be to replace the "Select Location" dialog with a custom one. This dialog could be created with a custom action and shows the user only the drives.

For more details on custom action please see:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -page.html

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
Mathachew

Ciprian,

Hopefully that type of customization will be available eventually. I'll have to stick with what's there as time may not permit me to venture into learning to use custom actions at the moment.

Thanks for your help,
Matthew

Return to “Common Problems”