Mathachew

Cannot create a working update

I have been plugging away at this all week. There was someone else who had the same problem but was somehow able to get it working. I have an installer for v3.1.5 of my company's program. I need to create full install (no problem here) and also and update install so that they can upgrade from v3.1.5 to v3.1.6

I have tried countless different ways to go about doing this and I'm having absolutely no luck whatsoever. I have taken the same installer file and replaced the updated files only, but the problem with this is that most, if not all, of the files from the 3.1.5 install are removed, and then the 3.1.6 files are installed in its place; this isn't really an upgrade, it's an uninstall then install proceedure.

I then tried to create an installer that had just the 3 files to see what would happen. I again had no luck in this scenario.

I also created a patch, but again, no luck.

Why is this so difficult? I followed the tutorials and have read through the help files but something isn't jiving. Any help you can offer would very much be appreciated. Thank you.
Mathachew

Re: Cannot create a working update

I also need to ensure that a previous version of the software was installed so that the updater isn't run in error by our end users. In most of the scenarios I tried, files that should not have been removed were removed. If the files weren't removed and just the 3 files needed were installed, everything would be great, but the fact that files are removed creates a huge problem.
Mathachew

I'd also like to add that I'm getting a lot of mixed messages on exactly how to build a patch. Do I or do I NOT change the product ID for patches? According to AI, I do. According to what some have said in the forum I do not. :?
ciprian

Hi,

When installing an upgrade the package with the lower version that is present on the target computer is uninstalled. This is the way windows Installer works. So if you are using this approach the upgrade package should contain all the necessary files for your application to work properly. Consider what happens if one of your users decides to use your application and doesn't have the 3.1.5 version installed.

If you only want to update some files from the previous package you should use a patch. When planning to create a patch you shouldn't change the Product Code when creating the package with the higher version.

Advanced Installer's help section comes with a tutorial which guides you step by step in creating a patch.
You can also find it at the following URL location:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... patch.html

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Best regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
Mathachew

ciprian wrote:If you only want to update some files from the previous package you should use a patch. When planning to create a patch you shouldn't change the Product Code when creating the package with the higher version.

Advanced Installer's help section comes with a tutorial which guides you step by step in creating a patch.
You can also find it at the following URL location:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... patch.html

Ciprian,

I have started over and recreated my installs. I have full installers for 3.1.5 and 3.1.6 and created a patch based on these two installers. I installed 3.1.5 and then tried to install the patch. I followed the tutorial (this makes the 4th or 5th time since I started using AI almost 2 weeks ago) and am still having problems.

I ran the patch install and it proceeded to work its magic. I kept an eye on the install folder and noticed that three files remained untouched, even though they were supposed to be updated. Also, an additional file in the 3.1.6 installer existed and should have been added with the patch (the file didn't exist for 3.1.5, but did for 3.1.6), however, this file was not added.

I have maintained the same Product Code, so what else could I be doing wrong? Should any of the other options be changed?

Thanks,
Matthew
gigi

Hi,

We could not duplicate your problem on our computers.
In order to further help you please send us the AIP files of the projects used to build the patch to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

All the best,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”