FGump

Change product code?

Maybe this has been asked before, but could not find any help on the topic. I've created an install using Advanced Installer and then wanted to create another one for a different program. To simplify the process I copied the AIP project and used it again by giving it different product details (i.e. name, version). When prompted to generate a new product code, I chose "Yes".

When I install the original setup it works fine. When I install the second setup is also works fine, but now the files from the first are GONE. It seems to "update" it somehow. Isn't the new product code supposed to indicate this is NOT the same setup as to be updating files? How can I correct this?

Also, it would be nice to have a button on the Product Details page to "generate a new code" at will without have to change the product number and then put it back again.

Thank you,

Frank
gigi

Hi,

Your problem resides from the fact that you use the same .aip file for the second project. When you copy the .aip for the second project the upgrade code and the component GUIDs remain the same.

You must start the second project from an blank .aip file because otherwise you would have to manually modify the GUID for every component in your project.

All the best,
Gigi
FGump

Thank you

Thank you. I did this and it worked fine. Would it be possible at some point to allow for something like this by showing the product GUID somewhere and allowing it to be changed? This would really speed things up in making similar applications!

Thanks again.

Frank
gigi

Hi,

We shall consider whether this feature will be added in a future version of AI. Thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”