nrjarman

ODBC Execution Error

I am evaluating this product to see if it will accomplish our goals and I ran into this error.

I am creating a simple install. Basically the only thing I am attempting to do is create a professional project for a ODBC install.

Step 1 - I create the ODBC system DSN on my local system. I tested the connection, and everything works fine.

Step 2 - I create a advanced installer professional project without the wizard. I change the name under product details, and setup the product version.

Step 3 - I goto product details/ODBC. I right click data sources and import the data source from the machine DSN into the project.

Everything imports without error. I build the msi without error. I move the MSI to a machine for testing and I get the following error.

ERROR configuring ODBC data source: Test, ODBC error8: Invalid keyword-value pairs. Verify that the file Test exists and that you can access it. CANCEL - RETRY - IGNORE

Did I miss something, any ideas?
gigi

Hi,

The problem resides from fact that probably the path for the database file in your ODBC data source is absolute. After installing the package on another machine that path might not be valid.

To fix this problem you need to use a formatted value for the Data source attribute that specifies the database file path, after adding the database file in the "Files and Folders" page.
For example for an Access database the required DBQ attribute will be as follows:

Code: Select all

DBQ  [#data1.mdb]
Please let me know if this solves the problem.

All the best,
Gigi
Last edited by gigi on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nrjarman

So if I understand your post correctly that fix would be for a database that I would have on my local machine, create the ODBC link to and it would work fine - However when the ODBC would be ported to the other machine it would not be able to access the other machine. If my understanding is correct then that is not the case in this situation

The database I am linking to is on a SQL server. Both PC's have access to this server because the user name and password are included within the installer. Also included is the servername and the database. All of this information is brought in on the import.

Any other ideas?
gigi

Hi,

It is hard to tell what goes wrong. In order to figure out what the problem might be please send us the log file to support at advancedinstaller dot com. You can obtain the log file by running your msi package with log from Advanced Installer or you can use the following command line:

msiexec /i package.msi /l*v logfile.log

Also please specify all the attributes (and their values) that appear in the ODBC page.

All the best,
Gigi
nrjarman

I have sent in the files and information. Thanks for your assistance.
gigi

Hi,

The problem resides from the fact that you provide the UID as an attribute for your DSN.

You don't need to provide attributes such as UID/PWD with the DSN, you provide them in your application. Those attributes are needed only for testing the connection when creating the DSN, so after importing the data source in AI those attributes need to be deleted.

Regards,
Gigi
nrjarman

Ah. I see. I removed the username and password and it installed just fine.

I also had to remove the APP - advanced installer. It was causing the same error.

Everything then installed and seemed to work without issue.

Thanks. Will definitely be looking at purchasing the product. Very easy and straight forward to use.

Return to “Common Problems”