good

Upgrade install when changing installers

We are looking to change our installer from Wise for Windows Installer 3 to Advanced Installer. However, we are doing this for a maintenance release rather than a major release.

Can we do an upgrade from our old Wise installation in Advanced Installer? I would think that one step would be to change the upgrade code in the .aip file to match our old upgrade code, while keeping the new product code. Should this work? Or would the very different component structures between the two installers be likely to cause us problems?

For the future we would likely create patches for our maintenance releases, but that is not an option here.

Our evaluation is going great. Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks,
Michael
gigi

Hi,

Yes, in order to upgrade from your old Wise installation in Advanced Installer, you need to change the upgrade code in the AIP file with the old one generated by Wise, and keep the new product code.

The "Product Version" for the package generated with Advanced Installer must be higher that the one generated with Wise, and the "Installation Type" must be the same: Per-user, Per-machine etc.

Regards,
Gigi
good

Ah, the Installation Type needs to be the same too. Thank you for pointing that out - I would have missed that.

Ideally we would be changing this from the old per-machine only to a new setting of per-machine if admin, per-user otherwise. I'll have to think about this tradeoff some more.

Thanks again,
Michael

Return to “Common Problems”