buzz71

Patch creation problems and questions

I am creating patches using v7.2.1 of Advanced Installer and am fairly new to creating installations.
I have a scenario where I will need to supply patches to an initial full installation over a period of time.

I am practicing for this using a simple full installation containing just a few files. 2 of these files are exes installed to the deault target location (VersioningTest.exe, VersioningTestMore.exe) both with an initial version of v1.0.0.0.

I rebuilt both of these exes, VersioningTest.exe was changed to v1.0.0.1 and VersioningTestMore.exe remained as v1.0.0.0, and packaged them in the msi. I then used the patch project wizard to create a patch, P1, using the original and new msi files.

What I would like is to only include exes & dlls that have changed version numbers, but from the patch creation log file for P1 I see the following:

Code: Select all

Files differ: 'C:\Development\bin\Installations\Installer v1\images\TestInstal\.\.\VersioningTest.exe',
                   'C:\Development\bin\Installations\Installer v1\images\TestInstal_1\.\.\VersioningTest.exe'.
  Patch file created: FTK=VersioningTest.exe; temp location=Family\00008.HDR.
WARNING (14): File versions are equal.  Upgraded: 'C:\Development\bin\Installations\Installer v1\images\TestInstal\.\.\VersioningTestMore.exe' ver=1.0.0.0;  Target: 'C:\Development\bin\Installations\Installer v1\images\TestInstal_1\.\.\VersioningTestMore.exe' ver=1.0.0.0.
     Files differ: 'C:\Development\bin\Installations\Installer v1\images\TestInstal\.\.\VersioningTestMore.exe',
                   'C:\Development\bin\Installations\Installer v1\images\TestInstal_1\.\.\VersioningTestMore.exe'.
  Patch file created: FTK=VersioningTestMore.exe; temp location=Family\00009.HDR.
VersioningTest.exe is upgraded as wanted / expected, but I would not want VersioningTestMore.exe to be included as although it is a more recent file it is still the same version as the previous one. Although if a 'non-versioned' file like an image changed I would want to include that.

My questions are:
  • Is it possible to specify that you only want the file to be changed if the version is changed?
  • Can I get a better granularity of control of which files are changed in the patch?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Buzz71
GabrielBarbu

Re: Patch creation problems and questions

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer Forums,

Since you are new, I highly recommend you read our tutorials for a better understanding of how to use Advanced Installer to efficiently deploy your products.
This will also help you better understand support team's suggestions now and in the future. The simple and professional tutorials are especially important.

It is also recommended you follow the authoring a patch guide. Following the patch rules when authoring a patch is imperative.
Is it possible to specify that you only want the file to be changed if the version is changed?
Since the VersioningTestMore.exe file changed, it will be included in the patch regardless of version. This is Windows Installer behavior. Versioning rules require you to increment the version every time a versioned file changes, thus you are not allowed to have the same version number for different versions of file. I am afraid there is no option to change this.
Can I get a better granularity of control of which files are changed in the patch?
I am afraid not. The patch is created by the patch tool by comparing the two versions of your installer, so controlling which files changed in your new version is the only way to control which resources end up in the patch. Again, follow the patch rules to ensure your patch will be functioning properly.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”