simontempler

Question: Creating "New Connection" in "Netwo

I am in the midst of evaluating "Advanced Installer" and I have quite a few questions.

We require "Advanced Installer" to be able to customize some aspects of Windows' Control Panel e.g. creating a new connection under "Network Connect" with necessary values for the properties e.g. "Phone number", "devices" etc. etc. How do I do that in the evaluation version? More importantly, can the latest product “Advanced Installer” do such?

Here is another example… at a certain point during the installation, we require activating Windows’ “Add Hardware Wizard” to install a device. Can “Advanced Installer” do so? Or, is there a more creative installation solution?.

What if the Installer pauses for certain Windows’ “Add/New xxx Wizard” to finish before continuing?

Can “Advanced Installer” customize a form such as selecting “Countries” as part of user registration? Or, selecting a COM port from a list before final installation?

It will save me a lot of work if "Advanced Installer" can do such a thing. Thank you in advance for the reply. Any input is appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon
gigi

Hi,
We require "Advanced Installer" to be able to customize some aspects of Windows' Control Panel e.g. creating a new connection under "Network Connect" with necessary values for the properties e.g. "Phone number", "devices" etc. etc. How do I do that in the evaluation version? More importantly, can the latest product “Advanced Installer” do such?
If you want to start the "New Connection Wizard" wizard then you can do this by scheduling a "File attached to installation" custom action with the following options (add this type of custom action by selecting "Add Predefined Custom Action->Launch File or Open URL"):
1. Source Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
2. Command Line: netshell.dll,StartNCW
Here is another example… at a certain point during the installation, we require activating Windows’ “Add Hardware Wizard” to install a device. Can “Advanced Installer” do so? Or, is there a more creative installation solution?.
To install a driver you can use Advanced Installer "Driver" feature. Advanced Installer uses Windows Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx), version 2.01, to install the drivers. To learn more please follow this link: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ivers.html.

However you can also invoke the "Add Hardware Wizard" as mentioned above but with the following command line:
shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hdwwiz.cpl.
Can “Advanced Installer” customize a form such as selecting “Countries” as part of user registration? Or, selecting a COM port from a list before final installation?
UI customization will be available with 4.0 (Enterprise) version of AI which will be released any time now.

Regards,
Gigi
simontempler

Gigi,

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Simon... eagerly awaiting 4.0 (Enterprise) version of AI!

Return to “Common Problems”