McKool

Shortcut to a file depending on the language

Hello there,

I'm currently evaluating Advanced-Installed (Enterprice) and cannot figure out how to do the following:

I have created an installation in two languages, german/english. The install has a Feature, which installs two different help files, one under INSTALLDIR\DE\ and the other under INSTALLDIR\EN\. What I want to do is create only one shortcut, pointing to the right file according with the selected ProductLanguage. Could you help me to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.
mihai.petcu

Re: Shortcut to a file depending on the language

Hello,

You can add two separate shortcuts to your installed help files and condition each of their components in the Organization page with the ProductLanguage property. You can use our "Test if the language of the installation matches the one you specify" predefined condition from the Edit Condition dialog. Also, here is the how to that can help you install two files with the same name in the same location.

This way when you install your package only one shortcut will be installed.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
McKool

Hello Mihai,

thanks for your answer. I'm still stuck on this :? ....
mihai.petcu wrote: You can add two separate shortcuts to your installed help files and condition each of their components in the Organization page with the ProductLanguage property. You can use our "Test if the language of the installation matches the one you specify" predefined condition from the Edit Condition dialog.
The two files are in two different components of the same Feature. Each of them have a shortcut but I need to have both files installed. If I apply a condition to the component using the ProductLanguage, then one of the two files will not be installed, e.g. the english file will not be installed if the installation run in german. I only need to condition the shortcut but not the file, and it seems as it is not possible (or I just don't find where I can do this). Is there a work-around for this?
mihai.petcu wrote: Also, here is the how to that can help you install two files with the same name in the same location.

This way when you install your package only one shortcut will be installed.
I'm aware about how to install 2 files with the same name in the same location (I have already used in another case and it worked just fine) but that is not the solution to my problem. The files what I'm installing are in different paths and they both have to be installed, regardless of the installation language.

So the facts in short:
- Installation is mixed 32/64
- Installation is localizable (English/German)
- Two files, Help_de and Help_en, must be always installed.
- But according with the language of the installation, only a "Help.lnk" shortcut to Help_en, OR a ""Hilfe.lnk" to Help_de must be created.

Thanks for your support,
Keneth
mihai.petcu

Hi Keneth,
Is there a work-around for this?
Yes, the solution would be to create two shortcuts to external files. Here is the how to from our user guide that has the steps to achieve this.
This way you can move the shortcuts into new components, condition them and be able to install the two files they are pointing to.

Please note that an external shortcut's target must begin with a property.
But according with the language of the installation, only a "Help.lnk" shortcut to Help_en, OR a ""Hilfe.lnk" to Help_de must be created
I misinterpreted your shortcuts had the same name. Since this is the case, it's enough just to make the shortcuts point to external files and move them to separate components, after-which you can add the language conditions to each of them.

Best Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
McKool

Hi Mihai,

thanks a lot, this is just what I was looking for...

best regards,
Keneth

Return to “Common Problems”