wjarrett

Can Advanced Installer do......

Hello All,

I develop database solutions utilizing MS Access 2003 as my development platform. I have purchased the Access developer extensions so that I may package my solutions with the run time version of Access. What I have found is this is not a very flexible tool. I downloaded the trial version of Advanced installer and found it is very flexible and will do most of what I want. The only question I have is, :?: can I use advanced installer to package Access solutions with Access runtime or do I have to continue making two seperate install routines and chain them together? If I can, how is this done?
Ionut

Hi,

The Access Runtime 2003 install package (which consists of "accessrt.msi" and "accessrt.cab") can be added as a Prerequisite for your application, as follows:

1. Switch to the Media page, "Prerequisites" tab, click "New" and select the "accessrt.msi" file from your hard drive (this file will be automatically included in your package).

2. In the "New Prerequisite" dialog, "Properties" tab, set the name of your Prerequisite ("Access Runtime 2003").

3. In the "Install Conditions" tab, select "Registry Value" in the "Criteria" combobox. In the "Registry Value" text field enter:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSACCESS.EXE\Path
4. Make sure that the "Minimum" and "Maximum" text fields are both blank. Steps 3 and 4 define the install conditions for the Access Runtime Prerequisite, that is, if the above registry value is not found, then the Prerequisite is installed.

5. Switch to the "Media" tab (from the Media page) and make sure the following are selected:
- "Create EXE setup file"
- "Leave install files outside"
- "Archive installation files into CAB files"
- "Compress CAB files for smaller size"
- "Include CAB files into the MSI database"

6. After building the package, copy "accessrt.cab" in the same folder where the files created by AI reside (EXE, MSI, INI). You will distribute the contents of this folder. In a future version, Advanced Installer will support multiple files for a Prerequisite (as it is the case for the Access Runtime) and then you will be able to create a single EXE setup file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”