SirMackyEsquire

Packaging an Installer inside an installer

I am trying to create an installer that uses 3 prerequisites and then will run an already created .msi file. I tried to replicate the already created .msi by using all of the same files and putting it in the same directory on the target machine. I need to have this installer be able to recognize if the already created .msi has been run and installed, and creating a new .msi with Advanced Installer only overwrote the directory and didn't recognize the previous install with the old .msi. Pretty much I want to create an .msi or .exe with Advanced Installer that just runs an already created .msi after checking for prerequisites and doesn't install any files in the Application directory since I want the already created .msi to do that. Thanks.
gigi

Hi,
I need to have this installer be able to recognize if the already created .msi has been run and installed, and creating a new .msi with Advanced Installer only overwrote the directory and didn't recognize the previous install with the old .msi.
If I understand right you have a msi package and you want to create a new one with Advanced Installer that do the same thing? And this new msi package be able to detect if the old msi is already installed.

If this is what you want to do then you can detect if the old package is installed by scheduling a file search for a file that you know is was installed with the old msi. If the search succeed this mens that your old msi package is already installed and the search property gives you the path where the file was found.

If this is not what you are trying to achieve then please give me more details in order to help you.

Regards,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”