spark

Autorun

Hi,
Actually i compressed all the files into CAB while creating the AIP.. Now the problem is that I want to make the Cd Autorun.. Then how can i give the path when i was clicking the button on the autorun... while autorun how it would run the exe... there were many files that were called with the folder stucture.. How will it works... can u please help me over this issues....
REgards
Spark
Ionut

Hi,

1. On the first CD put the MSI file, the EXE bootstrapper (if you have created one) and the first CAB file.

2. Then for all the other CAB files you will use a different volume (one CAB per CD).

3. When burning the CDs, set their volume labels to "Disk1", "Disk2" and so on.

4. If you need to create an "autorun.inf" file:
- to execute a MSI package when the CD is inserted:

Code: Select all

[autorun]
open=msiexec /i package.msi
icon=filename.ico
- to execute the EXE bootstrapper when the CD is inserted:

Code: Select all

[autorun]
open=package.exe
icon=filename.ico
Place this file in the root of the CD (next to the MSI database).

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
spark

Hi,
Thanks for ur reply... It was now clear from ur reply how to add multiple voluems... When the cd runs it would call the launcher MFC application automatically... When we click on one of the button it would call the exe and that exe would call many files related to the folder present inside that... But i have no idea how it would call the files inside the cab folder and there is necessary to have all the files.. Suppose when the second cd is not inserted ... how would the files in the second cd gets loaded... Really i was so much confused over this issue... Many thanks if u clear me...
Regards
Spark
Ionut

Hi Spark,

It is not quite clear to me what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to:

1. create a setup package (EXE or MSI) for your application that will run automatically when the CD is inserted?,

or

2. do you want to place all the files you want to distribute (EXE, SWF etc) on the CDs (compressed or not) and provide an interactive program (executed automatically when the CD is inserted) that will allow the user to launch a specific file from one of the CDs?

Advanced Installer is a MSI package authoring tool and as such it is appropriate only for the first task above, not for the second.

Please give me more details about what you are trying to achieve, what is the layout of your deployment folder, what launcher MFC application are you referring to ...

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
spark

Hi Ionut,
Actually the Task which i was specifying you was the second one... Actually this is the deployement folder structure.. There is a launcher and many other folders at the root directory in the Cd...

Inside that specific directories there were many subfolders in that.... The Problem was that when i compress the files in the folders into CAB .. The specific path can be determined ... Actually i think that it would only work upon the uncompressed files ... So that the path name was same as that we specified in the MFC Application...

I was now clear from ur post... Thanks a lot IONUT....

Regards
Spark

Return to “Common Problems”