ah34

Office Patches as prerequisites (KB908002)

Hi,

I am trialing AdvancedInstaller and very much like what I see. The only problem I have is that my application requires .Net Framework 2.0 plus a few Office patches that are needed so that Office interoperates with .Net 2.0

When building a setup project with Visual Studio 2005, it automatically includes these patches into the setup project.

But how do I include these patches with Advanced Installer?

I would like to just have the 2 .msi and 1 .exe files (see below) execute every time I perform an install as a prerequisite. But that does not work because I need to specify some condition for installing those files. I tried specifying an arbitrary condition but that does not work either because the condition has to be changed by the prerequisite during installation. Otherwise the prerequisites installation goes into a never-ending loop. ... I guess I am simple missing something obvious here.

Below is more detailed information about what I am trying to achieve. Is that possible?

Thank you for your help.
Alexander

The following is an excerpt from a similar discussion (but with respect to a different installation program) in an online newsgroup http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 1&SiteID=1

1) after you install KB908002 on your VS machine, navigate to the following folder:

[...]\BootStrapper\Packages\KB908002

where [...] stands for whatever the path is to this folder (it may vary between different VS installations, so you may need to look for it. On my VSTO machine it's \Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\KB908002)

2) You need to include and run the following files from that folder in your setup:

a) lockbackRegKey.msi - this will fix the CLR issue on Office machines older than Office2003

b) office2003-kb907417sfxcab-ENU.exe - this patches Office2003

c) extensibilityMSM.msi - this installs extensibility.dll. You may skip it if you do not need to put extensibility.dll on the user machine.

If you can do the above from within your setup, then you should be set. This is what the VS2005 bootstrapper does anyway, so by perfoming the above 3 steps you're simply emulating what setup.exe built by VS would do here.

(BTW - When executing the office2003-kb....exe, you may want to use the /quiet flag to kill the UI that might pop up from that)
gigi

Hi,

I suggest you to add directly those 3 files as prerequisites (lockbackRegKey.msi, office2003-kb907417sfxcab-ENU.exe, extensibilityMSM.msi) with corresponding conditions.

Note that you can specify the order in which those prerequisites will be installed by using (up, down) buttons from "Prerequisites" tab.

Regards,
Gigi
ah34

The problem is that there are no corresponding conditions. I just want to execute these files before the installation starts, every time. How can that be achieved?
gigi

Hi,
I just want to execute these files before the installation starts, every time
You want those prerequisites to be installed even if they are already installed. I don't think that you can install same version of an application twice. However if you leave the "File To Search" field to the default value the prerequisites are launched every time.

Install separately those prerequisites and with explorer determine what files are installed and with one of those files condition the installation of the corresponding prerequisite.

Regards,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”