kfung

Java registry Version check fails

After Setting up the pre-install section to install the JRE/JDK, the installer fails the version check because the registry subkey is pointing to the incorrect path. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment and Development keys are in the 32 bit section, and the Advanced Installer is looking for it in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft node.

Version 9.01

The Advanced Installer registry GUI only lets me select the Wow6432Node
Daniel

Re: Java registry Version check fails

Hi,

Please keep in mind that by default the prerequisite uses 32-bit locations on a 64-bit machine. However, if you want your prerequisite installation conditions to be evaluated using 64-bit locations you should check "Use 64-bit locations when evaluating conditions on a 64-bit machine" option from "Install Conditions" tab.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
kfung

Hello Daniel,

The issue is I need to access the 32 bit section, and the Advanced Installer registry tool only sees the 64 bit side.

As an exeriment, I created a custom registry search. When I first created it, I was able to see the 32 bit side. Once I did anything such as build an install, the search fails because the search then only finds the 64 bit side.

I originally created my install project on a 64 Win 7 Pro laptop and had no problems. The current development machine is a 64 Win 7 enterprise laptop.

I need this to work, as currently, this install is deploying java jars wrappered with your java launchers. These launchers now fail because they can't find the java currentversion entries, after installing the JRE/JDK in the pre-install phase.

The full install is a mixed 32/64, where the java components are currently 32bit and the backend is 64/32 depending on the target machine.

I upgraded to to Advanced Installer 9.1 and I still have the same issue, I am unable to see the 32 bit side of the registry.
Daniel

Hi,

Please keep in mind that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft subkey is a 64-bit location where are located 64-bit registries entry on a 64-bit system. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft subkey is a 32-bit location where are located 32-bit registry entry on a 64-bit system. See our article about Wow6432Node Registry Key.

As I mentioned in my previous post, by default prerequisite installation conditions use 32-bit locations to be evaluated (i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft). If you want your prerequisite installation conditions to use 64-bit locations to be evaluated (i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft) you should check "Use 64-bit locations when evaluating conditions on a 64-bit machine" option from "Install Conditions" tab.

If the problem persists, please send us the .AIP (project) file you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”