skylinefighterx

Need to run PreRequisite in the middle of Installation

Hi,
I have a sequences of 10 Custom Install Dialogues. I need to run the PreRequisite Installer on Dialog #4. I am currently setup as a feature based but this isnt working for me since it only installs at the very end when i hit the Install button.

1. I found out you can only run the prerequisites installer at the very beginning or do a feature-based and run it at the very end with the Install button, Is this true?
2. Are we able to move it so we can install with a custom dialog in the middle of my Install Dialogs.

thanks
Daniel

Re: Need to run PreRequisite in the middle of Installation

Hello,
1. I found out you can only run the prerequisites installer at the very beginning or do a feature-based and run it at the very end with the Install button, Is this true?

Yes, this is true. Depending on the moment you want to execute them, Prerequisites installers can be added in multiple ways as :
Pre-install - they are installed by an EXE bootstrapper before your MSI is launched.
Feature-based - they are handled as features in your installer.
Post-install - they are launched after your main installation.
2. Are we able to move it so we can install with a custom dialog in the middle of my Install Dialogs.

No, you cannot achieve your behavior using our Prerequisites feature. However, in order to achieve the behavior you should try this:
- Add the prerequisite installer (i.e. MyPrereq.msi) to your package as temporary file.
- In the "Custom Action" page add a "Launch File or Open URL" custom action without sequence.
- Set the "Command" field to:

Code: Select all

"[&MyPrereq.msi]"

- From the "Search" page create a "New Extended Search" (i.e. MY_LAUNCH_CONDITION) and in the "Extended Search Properties" pane choose your search criteria (i.e set the "Criteria" field to "Product Version (identify by Upgrade Code)" and in the "Upgrade Code" field put your prerequisite Upgrade Code).
- In the "Dialogs" page call the custom action, through a "DoAction" event, with the "Condition" field set to:

Code: Select all

MY_LAUNCH_CONDITION

If you have any questions let me know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”