jmedina

Problems with windows 8.

When generating an installer in Advanced Installer 7.2.1, in operating systems, xp, vista and windows 7, to add to the Application folder shortcut, the shortcut for uninstallation, is performed correctly, but in Windows 8 is not created this shortcut in the part of start, all programs, when you install the program. Would be so kind as to tell me if it is possible to create this shortcut for the uninstall process in Windows 8. i would be grateful for your support, cheers.
Cosmin

Re: Problems with windows 8.

Hi,

Please note that Windows 8 no longer has the Start -> All Programs menu.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jmedina

Hi.

Windows 8 does not have the start button, but if a very similar menu, that contains the all programs option. It is important to mention that for xp, vista and windows 7 added the shortcut of uninstall, the shortcut of help file and the shortcut to start the program. and in Windows 8 is created access to the help file, for the start of the program, but the shortcut to uninstall is not created. It is important to mention that the shortcut to uninstall use the msiexec.exe file located in the folder system 32, and the other two entrances that are created if they did not use.
Bogdan

Hi,

The shortcut for uninstall does get created, you can find it under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\<Your Application>", but the OS does not automatically pin it on the Start page. I suspect, but I have found no exact documentation from Microsoft, that they automatically exclude shortcuts to certain system files, as they recommend in the following article to not create uninstall shortcuts.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
jmedina

My question is, because the shortcut of implementation of the software if you do create it, and the access of uninstall does not create it, considering that both shortcuts have the same properties, and the only difference is that the shortcut of uninstall utilising the msiexec.exe file located in the system32 folder. Can anyone help me?
Bogdan

I'm afraid I don't understand exactly your question. Clearly Microsoft uses a certain algorithm to decide which shortcuts are automatically pinned on the start screen and which not, unfortunately there is no public documentation offered for this, or we cannot find it. Uninstall shortcuts are not completely banned from the start screen as if you click on the shortcut and select "Pin to Start" you will see its added there.

We are currently investigating to see why Windows 8 does not automatically places this type of shortcut on its start screen and other shortcut related issues, and we will include an improved support in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
GlenT

We found out that Windows 8 does not place shortcuts to Help files on the Start screen either.

Return to “Common Problems”