AlexN

How we can make general setup reset?

After some tests we couldn't use setup anymore. For sample we can install software more that one time but it was no option for uninstall. Or it was uninstall option only - no possibily for the new setup.
To reproduce, try install somewhere and then delete all files manually or delet files manually and start repeair. It is possible that it is project specific.
Do you have some installer switch for registry clean or something else for set innitial computer state state for the setup?
mihai.petcu

Re: How we can make general setup reset?

I think you're looking for a "Repair" operation. Here's Question about install repair thread with more related details.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
AlexN

Not exactly. I have the state where was no maintenance mode at all.
How user can reset all related regisrty entry for the setup without regedit? I hope that troubles is in regisrty.
mihai.petcu

Hello,

Resources modified after installation can be left behind during uninstall. Is this your current issue?
If you want to also delete this data, you can try using the "Uninstall Cleanup" wizard available from the context menu when a folder is selected in the Files and Folders Page.

All the best,
Mihai
AlexN

No it is others. Sometimes installer can't do needed action. Can't instasll or can't uninstall.
We need a safe way for uninstall the product and then install from scratch.
mihai.petcu

Hello Alex,
No it is others. Sometimes installer can't do needed action. Can't instasll or can't uninstall.
If you're referring to custom actions, then you're not using the correct Windows Installer return codes. Windows Installer automatically triggers a rollback or continues with the installation depending on a custom action's return codes.

0 action not executed
1 success
2 user canceled
3 fatal error
4 suspended, waiting for a reboot

For example if a action failed and caused an error, a return value of 3 would have been returned and would have caused the rest of the installation to stop and the rollback process would begin which would return the system back to the same state before the installation began.

All the best,
Mihai
AlexN

Hi Mihai,
If you're referring to custom actions
No. I mean "install action" and "deinstall action" - so general actions what user must always do.
I think MSIZAP could do the work but Microsoft prohibited included it into setup.
I looking for the setup command line key which reset "invalid" MSI state when no "general actions" possible.
Thanks Alex
mihai.petcu

Hi Alex,
I think MSIZAP could do the work but Microsoft prohibited included it into setup.
This tools is generally used to remove a broken installation, not left behind resources. If an uninstallation leaves behind resources the correct approach is to use the "Uninstall Cleanup" wizard I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here are some usage cases:
How do I remove a broken installation?
Force Uninstall

All the best,
Mihai
AlexN

Hi Mihai
here is information for your suggestions:
How do I remove a broken installation?

Sometimes a package cannot be uninstalled (for example, it contains a custom action which cannot run). This broken package can be removed by following these steps:

open the package's Advanced Installer project
fix the problem
build the project
use this command to recache the MSI:
Utility
You should use the MsiZap command line utility that comes with Microsoft Platform SDK. This forcefully removes any and all traces of the installation.
"Uninstall Cleanup" wizard available from the context menu when a folder is selected in the Files and Folders Page.
Could yout tell me please where is the option for the enduser, which has only install CD, no big computer knowledge and no internet connection?

Return to “Common Problems”