AlexN

What is the best way to create different builds from 1setup?

What is the best way to create different builds from one setup?
I expect that Media/Builds could help me but I can't change all parameters what I need. For sample Page "Product detail" must be complete other.
We must start in the future AI from our CI server with command line.
How can I change for different builds?
-Product name
-Product icon
-Files and Folder content
-Merged modules
mihai.petcu

Re: What is the best way to create different builds from 1se

Hello,
What is the best way to create different builds from one setup?
Here's Multiple Build Configurations tutorial to guide you through the process.
We must start in the future AI from our CI server with command line.
All the command options available through the Advanced Installer are available under the following user guide article:
Working with Advanced Installer from the Command Line

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
AlexN

Here's Multiple Build Configurations tutorial to guide you through the process.
It means it is only one way exist? I want to know concept not the implementation details.
We need to create a diferent installation from one product. User must be able to install all the variation simultaneously (in real word it is more complicated) but must have the possibility to update each variation independently.
All the command options available through the Advanced Installer are available under the following user guide article:
And how we can change values From the Product details page? At least Product version?
mihai.petcu

Hello Alex,
It means it is only one way exist? I want to know concept not the implementation details.
The concept is described on the Multiple Installer Builds presentation page.
We need to create a diferent installation from one product. User must be able to install all the variation simultaneously (in real word it is more complicated) but must have the possibility to update each variation independently.
In this case, you're not looking for multiple builds, but for multiple instances feature. This can be done from the Multiple Instances page, not from the Media page. Here are the related articles with subarticles you can read:
Multiple Instances
Generate New GUIDs for Multiple Instances
And how we can change values From the Product details page? At least Product version?
All the supported project related command line options are described in the following subarticle of the article I previously posted:
Project Commands

All the best,
Mihai
AlexN

The concept is described on the Multiple Installer Builds presentation page.
We means something other under concept. I mean different concepts from my question.
as for the link, look the text is "lie".
For each installer you can then customize:
-Install Parameters (if must be written install Parameters Page or something else). For us Product Details Page install paameters too. Not possible to change.
-Prerequisites. Build switch is not present (at least I cam't see it as for theme page)
-User Interface (Theme, Translations). I can't find possibily to switch the theme (all theme style settings are reset after build switch)
In this case, you're not looking for multiple builds, but for multiple instances
"When the package runs the Multiple Instances selection dialog displayed by the .EXE allows the user to install new instance or maintain an already installed one"
We don't need any selection dialog. In addition it is error "Multiple instances cannot be used on builds containing multiple languages"
Can I switch the Theme/"Product detail" for every instance?
mihai.petcu

Hello Alex,
We means something other under concept. I mean different concepts from my question.
I don't understand what you mean by this. Can you please elaborate and exemplify?
Install Parameters (if must be written install Parameters Page or something else). For us Product Details Page install paameters too. Not possible to change.
You cannot change the Product Details for each build, it defeats the multiple builds purpose. The multiple builds concept implies one product with several packages each with its own configuration. This way you can manage all packages from a single project.
In the Install Parameters page you can switch between builds from the Ribbon -> Install Parameters tab -> Build section.
Prerequisites. Build switch is not present (at least I cam't see it as for theme page)
This is described in the Prerequisite page user guide article under "Specify which builds will contain a prerequisite or chained package" section. Also detailed in the "Multiple Build Configurations" tutorial I linked on this thread a couple of posts ago.
User Interface (Theme, Translations). I can't find possibily to switch the theme (all theme style settings are reset after build switch)
This issue is debated in your other thread.
We don't need any selection dialog. In addition it is error "Multiple instances cannot be used on builds containing multiple languages"
That dialog is necessary to keep track for each multiple instance.
Multiple instances and multiple builds are well known Windows Installer concepts, each with their own particularities and usage cases. You should experiment with tutorials, give more time to read about both in detail and find which better suits your requirements.
Can I switch the Theme/"Product detail" for every instance?
You can change the Product Name but not the theme.

All the best,
Mihai
AlexN

Hi Mihai,
trhanks for the answer. I think I must start from the begin.
What we need (simplify):
We have one product build with some additional files, produced in automatic mode from CI server. Then we must produce from this build X little bit different setup types.
All setups from the equal build could be installed on the same computer. Setup from the next build must update the equal setup type from the previous build. The users have no big expierence with computer.
Setup types differs at least in exe/setup name, icons, help files, setup themes.
We want to have only ONE build script. We already realized all needs with NSIS script but looking for the better solution. The easy setup we could create from scratch in "5 minutes" with AI but troubles come later.
In addition to the main application we have Y plugins types but we ignore it at the first time.
So in the first time we don't need to know any details, only general tasks, for sample: "you need to create X different builds types. Every build must have different application id.". That what I call setup concept.
Best wishes Alex.
mihai.petcu

Hello,
We want to have only ONE build script.
Unfortunately, there's no way to accomplish this using Advanced Installer CLI.

In a related scenario you could have a project template and have several projects with slight different configuration from that. However, this excludes multiple builds.

All the best,
Mihai
AlexN

Hi Mihai,
thanks for the answer but template look like source for copy not source for reference.
It is means if I do changes in the project template then my actual projects based on this template have no changes.
It could be a solution to have 4 different projects which based on the reference to the base one. So if we made changes into base projects all inherited projects changed too.
Best wishes Alex

Return to “Common Problems”