Bill Manville

Can I control the MSI filename?

I am a new user, and I like most of what Advanced Installer does for me.
However, the msi file gets a meaningless hexadecimal filename which looks unprofessional.
Is there a way to over-ride this filename with something appropriate to the application?
Eusebiu

Re: Can I control the MSI filename?

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forum.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

You can control the MSI filename by going it in the Builds page in the Deployment group page from the left-side pane, then write it in the "MSI name" text field from the "Configuration" tab.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Bill Manville

Thanks, Eusebiu.
I had overlooked that page - misunderstood "Builds"!
Eusebiu

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Bill Manville

I did set the MSI filename on the Builds page but it had no effect - perhaps a misunderstanding.
I am generating an EXE file and assumed the MSI filename I specified would be used for the MSI that is generated by the EXE file.
It would seem not. Do you agree?

What are the pros and cons of MSI vs EXE format in your experience?

Bill
Eusebiu

Hi Bill,

If your AIP project generate also an MSI and an EXE file it means that in the Builds page its type is set to "EXE setup with resources next to it".

In this case you can set also the MSI name and the EXE name for you output package.

For example if you have an "EXE setup with resources next to it" package type and you set the MSI name "MSIfile" and the EXE name "EXEfile" in the output folder you will find an exe file called "EXEfile.exe" and an msi file called "MSIfile.msi".

If you have a "Single EXE setup (resources inside)" package type and you set the MSI name "MSIfile" and the EXE name "EXEfile" in the output folder you will find only an exe file called "EXEfile.exe", but at the install time the MSI package is extracted from EXE in the "Extract Location" where it will be called "MSIfile.msi".

In the Difference Between MSI and EXE article you can find some differences between MSI and EXE.

Let us know if it helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”