Renejos

USB driver causes installer to fail

Hey

I'm rather new to Advanced Installer, so if this is a simple error please have me excused :D

I'm working on an installer which needs to have a USB driver included, and my problem is now that when I add the inf file in the driver section the installer fails prematurely, with the following log messages.
MSI (s) (30:B0) [14:21:21:404]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:473]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:526]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:563]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:588]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:613]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:656]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:690]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:730]: Restoring environment variables
MSI (s) (30:8C) [14:21:21:767]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (30:E4) [14:21:21:805]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (2C:58) [14:21:21:832]: Back from server. Return value: 1603
MSI (c) (2C:58) [14:21:21:863]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (2C:58) [14:21:21:888]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 14:21:21: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (2C:58) [14:21:21:963]: Doing action: FatalError
Action 14:21:21: FatalError.
Action start 14:21:22: FatalError.
Info 2826. Control BottomLine on dialog FatalError extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels.
Action 14:21:22: FatalError. Dialog created
I have tried to find a solution in the forum, but have not managed to fix this problem. If the driver is removed from the installer it will install without any errors.

Can anybody help?

- Regards
Renejos
Renejos

Re: USB driver causes installer to fail

Any ideas ?
Dan

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

Please keep in mind that our "Drivers" feature is designed for installing Software First Install drivers only. These drivers usually come with your application, e.g. an anti-virus filter for the network adapter. It is not recommended to use it for installing Hardware First Install type drivers, e.g. a driver for your sound card.

Although most hardware drivers are supported, they require an INF to be installed with Advanced Installer. If you can install your drivers with DIFx, you can configure them in Advanced Installer. Otherwise the only solution is a custom action.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Renejos

Okay, I found a few extra threads which informed me about the same thing. Thought that Software First Install drivers meant that the driver was installed before the HW was plugged in. I have managed to make a installer which contains the driver and which moves it to a location where windows will find it by it self when a usb device is connected. So the problem it sort of fixed :)
Dan

Hello,

I'm glad you got this working.

Best regards,
Dan
Renejos

Yes, it might be more of a work around then a actual fix.

It might give me problems if the driver some day needs to be updated. Currently im simply moving the inf driver file into the inf folder in the Windows folder, this will make windows find the driver by it self, but it seems that i copyes the driver to another location and therefore it might give me problems if a new driver version needs to be dustributed?

Is there a better solution for my situation ?
Dan

Hello,

Can you please try to add your .inf file in the Driver page and set up again the installation of your driver? Your installation package will use Windows Driver Install Framework (DIFx) to install the driver and should also ensure that there will be no problem with the upgrades.

You should also enable the “Do not prompt the user to connect the device to the computer” option in your driver settings.

If you get installation errors please send us the .AIP (project file) and a full verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
Renejos

I have just tried to add the driver again, but without any success. The log and aip file has been sent to the support mail.

- Regards
Dan

Hello,

Please keep in mind that for installing a 64-bit driver you should also use a 64-bit package type.
In order to achieve that you can go in the “Install Parameters” page and select a 64-bit option for the “Package Type”.

Selecting this options will also ensure using the DIFx for the 64bit driver.

Please let us know if that helped otherwise give us more details.

Best regards,
Dan
Renejos

That made it :) It is now working as expected and installes the driver without any issues.

Thanks a lot!

-
Regards
Dan

Hello,

You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan

Return to “Common Problems”