Nileshh

Exe file created and it is showing Modify/Delete dialogue

Hi
I have created exe setup using advanced installer.
When I try to install the same setup on a machine that has the setup already installed then it shows me the dialogues of Modify/Delete.

What I want is that it should show me the windows installer message stating that "One version of this program...."

HOw can I achieve this?

I tried making the Maintenance Dialogues invisible is project setup files but it does not work.
Any solution for this?

Thanks
Nilesh
gigi

Hi Nilesh,

This is the default and normal behavior of Windows Installer. If the package is already installed the Maintenance dialogs are displayed allowing you to modify/repair/remove the package. Why exactly you want to change this behavior?

However if you really want to prevent the user from repair or modifying the package then this can be done by creating an "Error Message" custom action under "InstallUISequence->AppSearch" with Installed AND (NOT (REMOVE="ALL")) as execution condition. Drag & drop this custom action (while shift key is pressed) to "InstallExecuteSequence->Appsearch" action (add same condition).

Also in the "Product Details" page you need to check "Disable Modify" and "Disable Repair" options for "Add/Remove (Control Panel)".

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Nileshh

Hi

Thanks Gigi,

I will try this solution.
What I did was the following.
I went to Custom Actions from Project Details.
Then went to InstallUIsequence > AppSearch > ErrorMessage.
In ErrorMessage , ExecutionCondition list I added the condition given by you and set that as the condition for building package.

I hope I am correct.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Nilesh
Nileshh

Hi

Thanks Gigi it works..
Only one issue with this approach.
It shows Fatal error dialogue at the back behind the Custome Actions Dialogu box.

Can this be avoided.

Thanks once again.

Nilesh
gigi

Hi Nilesh,

Instead of using the "Error Message" CA you can create your own custom action like this:

Code: Select all

Function AbortInstallation()

MsgBox "The package is already installed."
AbortInstallation = 5

End Function
Copy this code to a .vbs file and in the custom action page add a "New Attached Custom Action" instead of "Error Message" one (add this in both sequences like I saied in my previous post). In the "Function Name" field type AbortInstallation and use same execution condition.

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”