FergusMurray

Validate User account password

I have a custom dialog that contains a DOMAIN_NAME, USER_NAME and two password boxes, i was trying to extend the error checking by using the custom action "Check if user Exists" and having the option "Check user account's password"

My custom action is aways failing, and i'm suspecting that its because the Property i'm storing the password in, isnt what the custom action needs, but there doesnt seem to be any detail on what property its check in the documentation:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... #section58

Can someone confirm what property its looking for?
Dan

Re: Validate User account password

Hello,

I'm not sure why you encountered this behavior. I've tested your scenario and it worked as expected.

Just make sure you have followed all the steps from the Check if user exists article:
- in Dialogs page add LogonInformationDlg dialog
- on its Next button add a "Set installer property" control event which sets AI_USER_CHECK_PASSWORD to "1"
- in Custom Actions page add a Check if user exists custom action without sequence.
- configure it as a control event on the Next button from LogonInformationDlg
- on the same button add a message box custom action which shows the AI_USER_VALID_PASSWORD property value (this is so you can see the custom action result)
- when running the installation, determine if the specified password is validated correctly on LogonInformationDlg (AI_USER_VALID_PASSWORD should be set to either Yes or No)

Please note that in order to check the entered password, the typed user must exist on the target machine. If the user does not exist, the check password action is not performed.

Please let us know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
Attachments
ValidateUserAccountAndPassword.zip
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
FergusMurray

Ok Dan i've tracked it down, its a AI bug from what i can see

If you use the option on the custom action definition of "Check if User Exists" and tick the "Check user account's password", it never works

However if i add the AI_USER_CHECK_PASSWORD = 1 on the dialog's "Next" sequence button ahead of the custom action call, it does work

Also worth adding to the documentation, that the password must be stored in the USER_PASSWORD property, since this is not documented anywhere and is a requirement
Dan

Hello,

This was fixed in version 12.7 of Advanced Installer released on February 4th, 2016.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”