rts

Serial number problems

AdvancedInstaller seems to be just what I need, but I'm struggling with the serial number validation.

I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the direction of better documentation, or preferrably a complete AdvancedInstaller project + Visual C project, so that I can see how everything needs to interact.

I've successfully compiled a dll, which is exporting a function _ValidateSerialNo, which I've inserted into the appropriate place (both with and without the _), but when I try to install the software, I get a message telling me that installation was aborted as there was a problem with the DLL.

A working example would be gratefull received.

Rob
Cata

Have you tried using the code from the AI Help (Using Advanced Installer > Project UI > Adding and Customizing Dialogs > Developing a DLL for serial number validation)?

Also, make sure you don't have unneeded depends in your DLL.

Hope that helps,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Fred

I don't understand why you people are being so obtuse about this. The help you provide really isn't very helpful, and it's obvious from reading this guys comments that he has indeed read the 'help' and tried to use it.
JohnSColeman

tutorial promised

I already asked about this. The documentation is far from enough for a C++ hack like me who is really a Java programmer.

A tutorial has been promised soon though.

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... .php?t=442
John Coleman
Chat'n'Trade.com
Cata

We uploaded a Serial Number Validation DLL Sample Project at:

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... n-dll.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Sorry about the delay, but we were extremely busy here with the 2.5 release.

Regards,
Cata
JohnSColeman

suggestion

Thanks for the sample, the example code was very helpful to me as well.

But, I had to patch up an old copy of VC5 to get my own variation working. And it took me a while to discover that I had to add the def file to the project to get the DLL to work, as you only provided a project file for later versions of VC.

This may be an issue to some Java developers who will not want to purchase VC just to build a little DLL for their installer.

Perhaps you can in future include a sample for the free DevC++ platform.

John
John Coleman
Chat'n'Trade.com
Cata

That's a good idea, John, thanks!

Cata

Return to “Common Problems”