MichaelD

Repair doesn't work

Hi

I'm testing repair workflow and get some errors when trying to repair an installed product:
Error 1309. Error reading from file: C:\Users\C11865\AppData\Local\Temp\foo\bar\install\A9BECDC\jboss\bin\jbosssvc.exe. System error 3. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

The setup is the following:
- Build Single Exe setup with resources inside
- Archive LZMA
- Sign and check integrity using MD5
- Extract Location: [TempFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName] [|ProductVersion]\install

The created exe as installation source is still available, but the registry entry for InstallSource links to:
C:\Users\C11865\AppData\Local\Temp\foo\bar\install\A9BECDC\ where only the x64 MSI file is placed.
This MSI seems to not contain the required Files and Folders, only my Tempfiles.

Kind regards,
Michael
MichaelD

Re: Repair doesn't work

Some further questions:
1. Why is the MSI in the extract location not deleted after installation. It is still in C:\Windows\Installers available.
2. Why is it not possible to have a Single exe setup with resources inside and include cab file in msi database?
Daniel

Hello,

Can you please check the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" from "Builds page -> Configuration tab", rebuild your project and test again the scenario?

1. Please keep in mind that when a MSI file is installed Windows Installer caches it in the hidden "Windows Installer Cache" folder. Also, the cached MSI is stripped of any files it may contains for saving a significant amount of space required by larger packages.

2. This is possible. Just use the "Archive installation files into CAB files" option from "Builds page -> Configuration tab".

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
MichaelD

Hi Daniel,

If I activate "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" everything works. If I deactivate it the msi stays in the extract location after install.
2. "Include CAB file into MSI database is greyed out when using exe, it is only available when using msi package type.

By the way. I noticed that after playing around with the build options I had a great diff of the custom actions in the AIP xml file concerning extraction und deletion of lzma and co.
My project was created with 12.6 and I'm now using 12.7. Are there changes that only get activated when modifying settings?

Kind regards,
Michael
Daniel

Hello Michael,
2. "Include CAB file into MSI database is greyed out when using exe, it is only available when using msi package type.
When building an EXE setup package this option is available only for "EXE setup with resources next to it" package type.
By the way. I noticed that after playing around with the build options I had a great diff of the custom actions in the AIP xml file concerning extraction und deletion of lzma and co.
My project was created with 12.6 and I'm now using 12.7. Are there changes that only get activated when modifying settings?
Indeed, the LZMA compression implies some AI specific custom action to be used. They will be used only for this package type.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”