Joshr

Enhanced UI Breaks Multi-line Text Input

I'm using a multi-line text input to display a summary of the installation options before the user commits to the installation (On the VerifyInstallDlg). I have a custom action that builds the string containing the information in a format similar to the following:
Software will be upgraded.
Database will be upgraded.

Database connection:
Server: HOST\INSTANCE
Using Integrated Authentication

Installation Path:
C:\Program Files\Manufacturer\ProgramName
When using the standard Windows Installer user interface, this string appears correctly. The issue is that I can't disable the text control without the Enhanced User Interface.

When I enable the Enhanced User Interface, the control is disabled as expected. However, then all the line breaks in the property are ignored and it appears like this:
Software will be upgraded.Database will be upgraded.Database connection: Server: HOST\INSTANCE Using Integrated AuthenticationInstallation Path: C:\Program Files\Manufacturer\ProgramName
Thanks
Dan

Re: Enhanced UI Breaks Multi-line Text Input

Hello,

I have tested your scenario but I cannot replicate it. Can you please send us a sample code that replicates the described behaviour? Try to isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side.

By the way, did you noticed our list main actions performed during installation into a user friendly log-like fashion support? The related article will guide you in displaying and configuring the user friendly installation log.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Joshr

Hi Dan,

Your tutorial is for generating an installation log during the installation process. I'm trying to generate a summary of what changes will be made based on the options the user has selected in the wizard. This allows them to verify their choices and to go back and make any changes if necessary.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing.

Enhanced UI Disabled:
Enhanced UI is disabled; Line breaks honored.
Enhanced UI is disabled; Line breaks honored.
standardui.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Enhanced UI Enabled:
Enhanced UI is enabled; Line breaks ignored.
Enhanced UI is enabled; Line breaks ignored.
enhui.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
If I get a moment I'll create a sample project showing the problem. But here are more detailed steps to exhibit the problem:
  • Create a new Advanced Installer Project
  • Do NOT enable Enhanced User Interface
  • Add a new property SUMMARY_TEXT to the install parameters page. Set it to any value.
  • Create a DLL containing a single custom action with the following C++ code:

Code: Select all

EX_ENTRY UINT APIENTRY IS_MsiMakeLineFeedProperty(MSIHANDLE hInstall)
    {
    	return MsiSetProperty(hInstall, "LF", "\x0d");
    }

• Add a new "Call Function from Attached Native DLL" custom action and schedule it to occur immediately before "User Selection"
  • Add a Published Events behavior to the FolderDlg's Next button to set the SUMMARY_TEXT property value to "Line 1[LF]Line 2"
  • Add an edit control to the VerifyReadyDlg. Set "Property Name" to SUMMARY_TEXT, "Read-only" to True, and "Multiline" to True.
  • Build and run the installer.
You'll see that the multiline text shows line 1 and line 2 on separate lines. If you then enable the enhanced UI and run the installer again, Line1Line2 appears on a single line.

Thanks.
Joshr

Any update on this?
Dan

Hello,

I apologize I didn't update the thread.
This is an Advanced Installer issue that will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for brining it to our attention.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan

Hello,

This was fixed in version 13.6 of Advanced Installer released on February 15th, 2017.

Best regards,
Dan

Return to “Common Problems”