dlenis

Error messages title headings

For error messages we like to substitute the title heading in the modal popups with our own wording. For Advanced Installer error messages the title heading can be changed, but can’t seem to figure out how to change the title heading for errors generated by Windows Installer. Is there a way to change the title heading for Windows Installer errors?
Eusebiu

Re: Error messages title headings

Hi,

I'm not sure which messages' titles you want to change. Can you please give me more details (maybe a screenshot with one of the message boxes)?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jdshkolnik

Eusebiu wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure which messages' titles you want to change. Can you please give me more details (maybe a screenshot with one of the message boxes)?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
I think the question boils down to...can we set a modal popup dialog's title based on a parameter or variable at run time?
John D. Shkolnik
Senior Manager
Financial Technology
Deloitte & Touche LLP
Eusebiu

Hi John,

Many of the modal dialogs are available in the "Dialogs" page where you can customize their titles (i.e. CancelDlg, ErrorDlg, etc.). If they are not the dialogs that you want to edit, please send me a screenshot with one of those that you need.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
jdshkolnik

Eusebiu wrote:Hi John,

Many of the modal dialogs are available in the "Dialogs" page where you can customize their titles (i.e. CancelDlg, ErrorDlg, etc.). If they are not the dialogs that you want to edit, please send me a screenshot with one of those that you need.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu,

I'm sure we can make our own dialogs but it's a question of reusability. As an analogy, do you define a base label control as NameLabel, AddressLabel, etc., or do you have an actual label control that allows you to customize the content during runtime as you like? You, like the whole world, obviously do the latter. Why would we be forced to do the former when it comes to popup dialog titles?
John D. Shkolnik
Senior Manager
Financial Technology
Deloitte & Touche LLP
Eusebiu

Hi John,

The modal dialogs that I was talking about (i.e. CancelDlg, ErrorDlg, etc.), are already created in the "Dialogs" page, so you do not have to recreate them. If you select any of those dialogs, a "Display -> Title" field will be available in the "Properties" pane from the right, where you can use properties to change the title of those dialogs at runtime.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
dlenis

What we really like to do is change the title heading property on the Errordlg before it is displayed depending on the message. I was considering using the init event, but the Errordlg does not have one. Is there a way to change the property just before the Errordlg is displayed?

Thank you,

Diego
Eusebiu

Hi Diego,

I'm afraid that it is not possible to trigger an event right before the "ErrorDlg" is displayed. Its title can be changed through an event that is executed at a predefined point, not right before the "ErrorDlg" prompt.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”