Tushar

Launching application after the successful updates

Hello Team,

Thanks very much for a wonderful installer app. I indeed liked it.

We purchased a Java License and I am trying to work with the installer right now. Our customers mostly have domain controllers and SCCM that means no admin privileges for the users on their systems. Considering this, an MSI setup with the updates using "install support service" & "install updates without elevation" are the options I have chosen. The installation works fine, the updates are also working as expected but the application is not relaunching after the updates.

I have created a new entry in "Auto Close Applications" tab in Updates for closing the application and relaunching it again after the updates. After the updates it is relaunching the application but launch location is not the installation directory, it is APPDATA/... (the update download location). In the main executable path I mentioned "[APPDIR]Application.exe" and checked restart always option. Due to this, the application is not running as expected as some required files will be missing from this temp location. It should launch from the installation directory in order to run it correctly.

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks,
Tushar
Eusebiu

Re: Launching application after the successful updates

Hi Tushar and welcome to our forums.

Indeed, the working directory of the launched application is set to the %temp% folder, the location of the updater that launches it. I added this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Meanwhile, you can try to automatically set the working directory of your application to its location when it is launched.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Tushar

Thanks Eusebiu,

I have tried launching the application using the desired path but it didn't work. I shall try it again.

Thanks much.

Tushar
Eusebiu

You're welcome Tushar.

As I already mentioned, we will add an improvement for this in a future version, so it should launch the application from the APPDIR location.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Dan

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 14.5 of Advanced Installer released on November 27th, 2017.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”