t3knoid

SetVersion and ComponentIDs

I just noticed that componentIDs are changed whenever I use SetVersion to update the version number of the installer. Doesn't this cause problems with upgrades and shared component installation? I am asking because we recently found a bug where shared components that we've been using was being uninstalled during a side-by-side install of different versions of our products. I was expecting the componentIDs in the different versions to be the same since each project uses a similar AIP (albeit a different version).
Dan

Re: SetVersion and ComponentIDs

Hello,

The component GUID is automatically changed when the product version is modified, if the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" option is selected in the Upgrades page, this is the normal behavior. Different versions need to have different component GUIDs to allow for the side by side installs, in order to not conflict with the registry.Can you check that in your project?

Also, could you please provide me with more information regarding the bug you are talking about?

Regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
t3knoid

Re: SetVersion and ComponentIDs

Hi Dan,

The bug is something with our installs. Basically installs that are installed side-by-side uninstalls components that are in our "common" folder. I didn't think component IDs change when version numbers are changed. Thanks for clarifying how the "Allow side by side installs option" affects this. It's clear to me now that I need to tick on the Shared DLL Reference Count option for these components to prevent an errant uninstall of our shared components.

Regards.

Return to “Common Problems”