donalwa

How to debug "Back from server. Return value: 1603"?

Hi
I have a failed install returning the following log extract, but im unable to confirm the root cause.

I see that the MainEngineThread has returned a success, so why has the install been marked as a fail?
What is the "server" process that has returned 1603?
Is it saying that a reboot is required?

MSI (s) (C0:04) [09:40:09:104]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
MSI (s) (C0:70) [09:40:09:120]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (c) (CC:E8) [09:43:20:527]: Back from server. Return value: 1603
MSI (c) (CC:E8) [09:43:20:527]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (CC:E8) [09:43:20:527]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 9:43:20: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.

The installer has a bootstrapper wrapping an msi, using advanced installer 13.1
Any help appreciated, thanks
Eusebiu

Re: How to debug "Back from server. Return value: 1603"?

Hi,

It seems that an action fails during the installation of the product. Can you please send me the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate them?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Eusebiu

Hi,

Looking over your project, I noticed that there is a chained package added in the "Prerequisites" page. The "MainEngineThread is returning 0" and "Back from server. Return value: 1603" lines may appear if the main package is successfully installed, but the chained package fails.

I also noticed that you set the "Enable Logging" option for the chained package. Can you send the resulted log file to me, so I can investigate that, too?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu

Hi,

The verbose log of the chained prerequisite shows that it was successfully installed. The server side process of the main application was also successful, only that the client side process returned an error code as shown in the log you posted.

I couldn't find the cause of that error, but it does not seem like a critical error. As far as I can tell, everything was installed successfully. Is there anything missing or not working correctly after this installation?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
donalwa

The result is that the install completely rollsback, removing all files.

I have not established the root cause, but i am suspicious about the chained msi. Will continue investigating.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Do you reproduce this problem on multiple clean machines? Can you give me some examples of the machines where the problem is reproducible and some machines where it is not reproducible?

In order to help you with the investigation, please send me a link to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can download and test your full package, too.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”