jbaynton

Removing registry key using uninstall cleanup not removing the key

Hi,

I'm trying to remove a registry key (created by a different application, an Outlook plugin) during the uninstall of our main application. I've setup the registry key using the uninstall cleanup wizard, but it's not removing it during the uninstall. The part that is causing me to go prematurely bald? If I create a test installer with no other features and copy and paste the registry keys, it works perfectly!

I'm at a complete loss to explain it. Any help would be appreciated. I've sent the .aip's to the support email.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Eusebiu

Re: Removing registry key using uninstall cleanup not removing the key

Hi Jeff,

I looked over your projects the the only difference that I noticed was that in your main project, both "Uninstall Cleanup" operations are assigned to the "Microsoft" component, which is a "64-bit Component". In the sample project, one operation is assigned to the "Microsoft" component which is not a "64-bit Component" and another operation is assigned to the "Microsoft_1" component which is a "64-bit component".

Can you change this in your new project ("Operations" tab of the registry key's properties) and see if it works?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jbaynton

Thanks for looking into that Eusebiu. Unfortunately, it still doesn't remove the keys (there's one in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Office/Outlook/Addins and one in the corresponding WOW6432 registry).

If there's nothing else that you see, I'll probably just write a quick app/powershell script to remove the keys and run it as a custom action. The ideal would be to actually call msiexec to uninstall that plugin, but when I've tried it's complained about trying to run an uninstall during the main uninstall. Is there anyway around that?

Thanks,

Jeff
Eusebiu

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure why this still does not work for you. Another solution that you can try and should work is to reconfigure the uninstall cleanup feature for those registry keys. Just go in their "Operations" tab, uncheck the "Remove this key" option, then right-click on the key, use the "Uninstall cleanup" option and reconfigure it.

Let me know if this worked.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”