orbitcoms

Installer project does not run application

I have a Visual Studio Project (C##) that I have created an installer but I cannot get the application to run. The installer runs the application ok on the development machine but on a different machine it installs all the prerequisites and places the application icon on the desktop but when I click the icon to run it, nothing appears to happen.
Catalin

Re: Installer project does not run application

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Please make sure the targeted machine has .NET framework installed.If .NET framework is installed, check for other dependencies
you application may need in order to run properly.

It is recommended that .NET framework and other dependencies required by the application should be deployed by the installer.

For example,in order to do this you can open the Advanced Installer project (.aip), go to Prerequisites page and add the required prerequisites
for your application.

If this doesn't help, please try to debug/troubleshoot your application.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
orbitcoms

How can I determine which prerequisites are required if I have to select them manually, I assume AS cannot determine from the VS project what prerequisites are required.

Do I use the version of dotnet used for the VS compilation?

If I have compiled the VS project for "Any CPU", do I need to select BOTH x86 and x64 in Advanced installer?

Finally, how do I know whether C++ redistributable is required and which version my VS project requires?
Catalin

Hello,
Do I use the version of dotnet used for the VS compilation?

Yes. The same version or a higher one should be installed on the targeted machine so that your application can run.
If I have compiled the VS project for "Any CPU", do I need to select BOTH x86 and x64 in Advanced installer?
If you want to install only on 64-bits OSs, then you should go to "Install Parameters" page of your project and set the "Package type" field for 64-bit option. Otherwise, if you want to support both architectures of OSs, then you should choose the 32-bit option.
Finally, how do I know whether C++ redistributable is required and which version my VS project requires?
Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. You or the application developer should know exactly what dependencies the application has.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”