DaveRobSepura

Error 2753. The File 'xxx' is not marked for installation executing custom action when updating existing installation

This fault only occurs when updating an older installation, installing from clean does not show the issue.
The custom actions use exe files installed as part of the application package and are set to run 'After the system has been successfully modified (deferred)'.
In the failure case the files from the previous installation are removed and the custom action is attempted before any of the new files have been copied over. The action then fails and the installation halts.

AI version is 15.0.1
Catalin

Re: Error 2753. The File 'xxx' is not marked for installation executing custom action when updating existing installatio

Hello Dave,
In the failure case the files from the previous installation are removed and the custom action is attempted before any of the new files have been copied over. The action then fails and the installation halts.
If the problem here is indeed what you have said above, then you can try to schedule your custom action after the "Add Resources" action group ("Custom Actions" page --> under "Install Execution Stage") and see if that helps.

If that is still of no help, please send me a copy of your .AIP files (project files --> both the old and the new version) and a verbose log of the installation that fails with the above specified error by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this and see if I can track down the problem.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
DaveRobSepura

Re: Error 2753. The File 'xxx' is not marked for installation executing custom action when updating existing installatio

Hello Catalin,

I have already placed the custom action after the Add Resources phase in the Advanced Installer UI 'Install Execution Stage' which is why I am surprised to see it running before the resources have been written to the final destination.
I've checked the InstallExecuteSequence table using Orca on the generated MSI file and the sequence numbers show that the custom actions are indeed scheduled after all the files have been installed. This bears out with the observed behaviour that from clean install (i.e. no prior installation to replace) the installation proceeds to completion.
My suspicion is that something is going wrong with the files remove/replace stage where files are removed and not replaced.

The change in behaviour was seen when the set of installed files changed, we had not changed the AI file (apart from updating the product version). Our build process uses the command line driver to set the product version and package name and then builds the package.

What should I use for the subject of the email to make sure it reaches you?

Thanks,

David
Catalin

Hello David,

This is, indeed, a strange behavior.
What should I use for the subject of the email to make sure it reaches you?
This is not really important as it will reach me for sure, but, if you wish to, you can have the mail subject as "@Catalin files as requested" or something like that.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello Dave,

First of all, I apologize for the delayed reply, but I was not at the office last Friday and we also do not work over the weekend.

Also, thank you for your sent files. After further investigating this, I think that you may encounter this behavior because your older setup installs a file which has a higher version than the one that your newer setup tries to install. I could have seen this in the log file on the following line:

Code: Select all

MSI (c) (80:8C) [14:37:50:164]: Disallowing installation of component: {Your_Component_GUID} since the same component with higher versioned keyfile exists
where "{Your_Component_GUID}" is the GUID associated with your .exe component.

With that being said, could you please open your project, go to "Files and Folders" page, double click on your exe ("Sepura.Cmc.Legacy.exe"), go to "Operations" tab and select the "Always overwrite existing file" radio button and let me know if that helps?

If that is still of no help, please forward me a download link for both setups (the one built with the older version of the AIP and the one built with the newer version of the AIP) by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate and test this on our end.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”